Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wheels

Albannach

my newly aquired mr2 1998 has 17" wheels rather than the original 15" quoted in owners manual. I have discovered that the compact spare wheel is 15" size ! I assume that it will be useless in these circumstances ? and I wonder what penalty I will suffer from my insurer when I inform them. Is it likely that I can aquire a spare with any ease? Opinions welcome.

Depends on the insurer. The change may be accepted by some with no additional premium, some may charge additional premium and some may refuse to accept the change. Be honest with them and say the car had the 17 inch wheels when you bought it.

As regards the spare, it depends what wheel/tyre combination the original fit was as opposed to what you have now. For example 17 inch wheels with low profile tyres could have the same overall diameter as the 15 inch wheels with a higher profile.

You could use a wheel and tyre size calculator (do a web search) to determine this.

Thank you Mike, in the interim, I owned up and they noted the modification and sensibly decided no further cost would apply :) . I take your point about the wheel sizes and will investigate. I'm finding out a bit at a time, what needs doing etc.

I think the easiest thing to do is just measure both of them with a tape measure; If they're both the same diameter from edge-to-edge of the tyre, then you're okay :)

Hi Cyker & Mike,

I found ref to another size spare and double checked what I have and what do you know? I should have gone to spec -savers ! :blushing:

my spare is T135/70D 16 and I measured diameter as suggested and it seems OK, also I checked the chart as suggested and found that the new tyre sizes are within the recommended limits I am having 2 new rear tyres fitted on Thursday and if that's OK I'll get 2 fronts ordered.I'm confused about pressures on the new tyres and wonder if they should remain as for original tyres but hopefully the fitters can advise.

I think that with the help of you both, Ishould hve these problems behind me. Thanks to you both.

Programme on TV last night about 2 guys who refurbish old classics for re- sale. They were doing a 80's Ferrari Mondial and I was amazed at the similarity between the body design and the MR2 !

Glad you got it sorted.