Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Head Gasket Failure What Are The Choices If Its Outside Warrenty

AJS

I see the question of what was wrong with the original 2.2 Toyota engines was raised in this thread (and others) and I'd really like to know as well since I've never seen anything definitive on here that I can recall.

Broadly, the Honda 2.2 diesel developed 148bhp and 258 lb-ft of torque while the Toyota 2.2 developed 174bhp and 295 lb-ft torque. So was it a matter of Toyota trying to wring too much power out of their engines and, if so, what changes did they make?

I wonder whether they had some new whizz kid(s) in their powerplant design who were absolutely trying too much. Did they push the thinwall pressure diecasting tooling and production limits of their suppliers too far? Not the first time that OEM designers, metallurgists and materials chemists were too pigheaded to listen to their castings and forgings suppliers, guys who had been at the game for years and try to advise the theorists.

Trouble is the guys with the experience are usually Production and they're not too well listened-to in their own companies. It's the commercial people who hold the real power and only want to sign contracts so they'll beat up their own Production people to satisfy the customer, especially I it's a biggie like Toyota.

If it was something like that Ill bet it followed the usual Project steps:

post-140480-0-35866700-1439656913_thumb.

"Neither the cylinder head nor block can be skimmed on an #AD series engine as there is tolerance to do so, if they are warped or damaged they are scrap."

I always thought that they cannot be rebuilt successfully.

was the head skimmed?

If the the original engine could be fixed why where Toyota replacing the engines?

can someone shed some light on this?

vag have this in their service manual too

don't skim heads etc

pile of pish

had over 100 heads skimmed on vws

the machine shop will advise if it cant be skimmed

• Like 2

I see the question of what was wrong with the original 2.2 Toyota engines was raised in this thread (and others) and I'd really like to know as well since I've never seen anything definitive on here that I can recall.

Broadly, the Honda 2.2 diesel developed 148bhp and 258 lb-ft of torque while the Toyota 2.2 developed 174bhp and 295 lb-ft torque. So was it a matter of Toyota trying to wring too much power out of their engines and, if so, what changes did they make?

it also happens on the 147bhp 2.2. & the 125bhp 2.0 so whilst it seems more prevalent on the more powerful versions it's not solely that. Iirc there were actually 2 different issues (look for posts by Devon Aygo).

it also happens on the 147bhp 2.2. & the 125bhp 2.0 so whilst it seems more prevalent on the more powerful versions it's not solely that. Iirc there were actually 2 different issues (look for posts by Devon Aygo).

I had already looked through various posts and I saw, for example, what Devon Aygo said about the ‘phenomenon’ of carbon stamping causing head gasket failure. I’m not an engine designer but it’s obvious that Toyota got something wrong and there’s more than me asking the same question. I’m only speculating but maybe they should have used fire rings in a small high performance diesel. I assume they used Torque To Yield fasteners for the cylinder heads but did they use studs instead of the more troublesome bolts?

And how about the business of Toyota dealerships being unable to successfully rebuild some engines despite Toyota specifying that only Licensed Technicians be allowed to? Were they skilled in using angle meters with torque wrenches – I know I was, I used them 30 years ago with Snap-On torque wrenches with the swivel handles that you had to keep perfectly balanced in the middle to get the absolutely true figures, not the click-to-setting type. It might lead to unkind speculation from technically uninformed people that some so-called mechanics are little more than laptop readers and parts fitters.

There’s an awful lot more ifs and buts and speculation could go on forever. It seems the fault has been rectified but the question I’m asking is what was wrong with the early engines?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links