Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

"free Puncture Repairs"

UK Republic

Hello.

Has anyone else had problems getting a free tyre repair ( without an appointment ) as promised by Toyota, Last Monday I noticed a nail in the n/s/r tyre, I phoned Johnsons in Liverpool to make an appointment the following day and I arrived there at 10.10 am, I was told it would be at least 3 hours before they could look at it, as i had no time to wait i left and decided to go elsewhere.

After arriving in Southend on sea Thursday i phoned Lancaster Toyota in Rayleigh to make an appointment friday, arriving there 10.45 am I was told it could be all day

before they could look at it so I left the car there, I got a call at 12.26 pm to tell me they had looked at the tyre but it was not repairable because of the location of the nail.

At both of these dealers I sensed a reluctance to carry out a "free" repair because it interupts their day, the one in Rayleigh suggested I might prefer to go to some tyre dealer rather than wait all day.post-58139-0-51996600-1401707882_thumb.jpost-58139-0-57999000-1401707896_thumb.j

These are the nail location and the area where a minor repair is permited, I think this tyre is well withen the permited area.

I would appreciate you thoughts on this matter

Looks like bad organisation to me. The very nature of puncture repairs tends to be "urgent" and a Toyota service centre is not well geared to having people standing around waiting for jobs to turn up as they do in a tyre house. Centres are more likely to be able to offer puncture repairs during routine servicing

We have a sort of QC/Drop in technician that can generally handle such requests, but not all centres have that facility. We do quite a few repairs, but are very often asked to repair tyres that are frankly scrap! You would be amazed at what people think are still legal. I am not saying your tyre is like that, has anybody repaired it yet??

I've had two slow punctures this year in the nearside rear tyre (the first punctures since 2007).

Both instances, I had no problem arranging a suitable appointment at the supplying dealer (Inchcape Burton-on-Trent). First time the tyre was repaired free of charge, and the car was vacuumed and washed - took about 50 minutes altogether.

Second instance last month, had to have a new tyre due to the proximity of the second puncture to the first repair - tyre was replaced with the same type of Continental, and again, the car was vacuumed and washed. Took about an hour.

So puncture the tyre just to get the car cleaned... Seems a bit severe to me ;)

Stopped it now - too much of a let down

Well you always had an inflated ego... :clap:

The pressure got to me

You do look tyred

and feeling deflated

and a bit out of balance

I had a puncture repair fixed free of charge while the car was being serviced in Elgin, Moray. Very good service at this dealership :)

Hello.

Has anyone else had problems getting a free tyre repair ( without an appointment ) as promised by Toyota, Last Monday I noticed a nail in the n/s/r tyre, I phoned Johnsons in Liverpool to make an appointment the following day and I arrived there at 10.10 am, I was told it would be at least 3 hours before they could look at it, as i had no time to wait i left and decided to go elsewhere.

After arriving in Southend on sea Thursday i phoned Lancaster Toyota in Rayleigh to make an appointment friday, arriving there 10.45 am I was told it could be all day

before they could look at it so I left the car there, I got a call at 12.26 pm to tell me they had looked at the tyre but it was not repairable because of the location of the nail.

At both of these dealers I sensed a reluctance to carry out a "free" repair because it interupts their day, the one in Rayleigh suggested I might prefer to go to some tyre dealer rather than wait all day.attachicon.gifDSCF1465.JPGattachicon.giftyre-breakdown-cutout_large.jpg

These are the nail location and the area where a minor repair is permited, I think this tyre is well withen the permited area.

Unfortunately your puncture is at the limits of how far towards the edge the repair plug can go, in this case the only way to tell is to remove the tyre and check the position of the plug on the inside of the tyre as the radius of the side wall is smaller inside and if the plug ends up on the radius it cannot be fitted

I must admit I've not had any good experiences trying to get 'free' puncture repairs; Usually I'm told I have to book it in or I'm told I have to wait hours - I usually give up and take it down a local indep who will usually get it done within 10 minutes but then they charge you a tenner :(

Thankfully I haven't had any new punctures yet since that infuriating shoulder puncture I got right after the puncturesafe'ing; Not sure if I've just been lucky or whether the puncturesafe goop is doing its job :lol:

Hope I didn't just jinx myself... :unsure:

My wife's Yaris had a picture a couple of months ago, didn't realise that I got free repairs with Mr T so took it to my usual place for repair, a £10 repair for me turned into a band new alloy from them when they scratched the rim putting the tyre back on.

Moral of the story, read what services you get from Toyota when you buy the car! And don't scratch a diamond cut Toyota alloy as they don't leave any room for refurb.

Hello.

At both of these dealers I sensed a reluctance to carry out a "free" repair because it interupts their day, the one in Rayleigh suggested I might prefer to go to some tyre dealer rather than wait all day.attachicon.gifDSCF1465.JPGattachicon.giftyre-breakdown-cutout_large.jpg

Unfortunately your puncture is at the limits of how far towards the edge the repair plug can go, in this case the only way to tell is to remove the tyre and check the position of the plug on the inside of the tyre as the radius of the side wall is smaller inside and if the plug ends up on the radius it cannot be fitted

Unfortunately you are wrong, Here is a chart you can download from etyres.co.uk which will tell you exactly the portion of the tyre which can be repaired, this will prevent guessing games and people who don't know ( not you of course, I mean tyre fitters and service managers who think they know everything and just guess and B/S you )

[ attachment=17169:Scan 2.jpeg]

I have marked the repairable width on my 225/45/17 tyre and indicated where the small nail is, which is considered a minor repair, you should download it your self and you will know whether your tyres can be repaired or not.

post-58139-0-47766200-1401815012_thumb.j

At least he's on track now

Rather tread carefully myself

Hello.

Unfortunately you are wrong, Here is a chart you can download from etyres.co.uk which will tell you exactly the portion of the tyre which can be repaired, this will prevent guessing games and people who don't know ( not you of course, I mean tyre fitters and service managers who think they know everything and just guess and B/S you )

[ attachment=17169:Scan 2.jpeg]

I have marked the repairable width on my 225/45/17 tyre and indicated where the small nail is, which is considered a minor repair, you should download it your self and you will know whether your tyres can be repaired or not.

Whilst useful the guide is just that it only states whether is is "likely" that a tyre is repairable, the guide is of limited use in the fact that it gives a tyre measurement on the outside of a tyre, just because a tyre is 225 mm wide on the outside depending on the brand, side wall construction and quality of the tyre the width of the side walls is not included in your 225 mm starting measurement, the only way to tell if it is repairable is to remove the tyre and check the positioning of the plug ( smallest plug is about 25-30mm across ) when installed, if it lands anywhere on the outer shoulder radius of the tyre it cannot be fitted, based on your own measurements your outer mark is on or over the 159 mm measurement allowed, before the width of the plug is included making it highly likely that part of the plug will be on the radius of the shoulder which is not allowed.

That one was michelin star frosty!

No, wouldn't want to suffer from over-inflation.

Because of danger of falling flat?

These puns are making me feel decidedly deflated...

The puns wear indicators of our sense of humour

Tbh I have only read this thread so far for the puns

Sent from my HTC One SV using Toyota OC mobile app

But be careful are someone will get cross plying your humour across topics...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links