Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Replacement Key?

JayEmAye

I know there are several posts on this but...I've lost my Avensis 98 GLS Estate key. I do have the master and a spare which both open & start the car but set the alarm off for 45 seconds. This makes the car still usable but upsets the neighbours twice a day and gets funny looks in Sainsbury's car park. My questions are these:

• Can I disable the alarm so can drive while waiting for new key?
  • Where and how will I come by a new key with transponder?

Any help much appreciated as I love my trusty and dent free Avensis. As a musician, It reliably takes my equipment and me from gig to gig all year round!

All the best, J.

• Like 1

You could try an auto locksmith for a new key.

Hi J

There are some good automotive locksmiths in your area that you may need to contact. I have not found a way to disable the alarm, so you have to carry on until you get your replacement key.

If you have another key, then if that is not switching off the alarm, are the batteries dead or the buttons warn out?

I know that Toyota can do something but it is not cheap.

If and when you do get a working key, I would get another.

Konrad

I know there are several posts on this but...I've lost my Avensis 98 GLS Estate key. I do have the master and a spare which both open & start the car but set the alarm off for 45 seconds. This makes the car still usable but upsets the neighbours twice a day and gets funny looks in Sainsbury's car park. My questions are these:

• Can I disable the alarm so can drive while waiting for new key?
  • Where and how will I come by a new key with transponder?

Any help much appreciated as I love my trusty and dent free Avensis. As a musician, It reliably takes my equipment and me from gig to gig all year round!

All the best, J.

Under the front offside driverside wheel liner/wing in front of the windscreen washer bottles, is the alarm sounder. Look behind the bumper. You could unplug that, but your hazards will flash for a while.

Thanks very much Konrad & Frosty I'll try that and see what happens. In the meantime I need a good local autolocksmith.

No need, find the alarm system in the car and cut off the wires. My uncle had the same problem, the unlock button wont work but the lock does on the key. So we have to unlock the car manually and causes the alarm to go off. It was annoying and embarrassing all we did was found the alarm which finding was a absolute nightmare since Nissan thought it was funny to hide it under the car stored in a box... But I'm sure Toyota's one will be in under the bonnet, simple just cut the wire. I don't think someones would want to steal a 05 plate car let alone a 98' model.

No need, find the alarm system in the car and cut off the wires. My uncle had the same problem, the unlock button wont work but the lock does on the key. So we have to unlock the car manually and causes the alarm to go off. It was annoying and embarrassing all we did was found the alarm which finding was a absolute nightmare since Nissan thought it was funny to hide it under the car stored in a box... But I'm sure Toyota's one will be in under the bonnet, simple just cut the wire. I don't think someones would want to steal a 05 plate car let alone a 98' model.

Hi Omar,

I personally would not cut any wire. It could be the wrong wire, plus the alarm sounder wire is within the loom until it is close to the plug. So you have to unplug anyway. It is part of the security of the car. There's nothing wrong with the alarm, just the remote key.

I did state the location of the sounder/horn, which came from the Haynes manual.

You never know what is in thieves minds, but yes german cars are more likely to be stolen than an old Avensis. I still would not take it for granted. What if the thieves are try to just break into the car to take valuables!

When the key issue has been sorted, just plug the alarm sounder back.

That's how I would deal with this, and want to get my car back to normal.

Konrad

Ps: Omar, it's nice to see a young person with an interest, and my comments are alternatives, additional, and sometimes a different point of view. Don't take it personally. You give advice that I could not when I was your age.

Thanks guys - I cant actually find the alarm sounder despite Konrad's help! If I did, would tampering with the alarm not immobilise the car? Just being able to open up the bonnet and snip the cables doesn't seem like much an anti theft device to me, but I could easily be wrong.

It seems Toyota don't licence their key codes to third party locksmiths so only a main dealer can get you a new key & fob at cost upwards of £100! So suggestions are still very much welcome on this one.

All the best, Jon

I see you only need the fob, maybe you could try eBay? If your car alarm is standard that is. Because our next door neighbour has the same car as us and when we unlock our car theirs also sometimes unlocks and then we gotta lock it again. Im not sure though.

P.S - Konrad, thanks :)

• Like 1

Jon,

Out of interest, have you sorted your remote key fob issue?

I wonder if you are getting some sort of radio interference since both keys are not working? See the following from the forum:-

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/160054-key-fob-not-working-properly/

With 4G, radio hams, home security, video senders and other transmitters for gadgets in the home, there is a chance that could be the cause. The only thing is that you have the problem in other locations, but still check.

Konrad

Thanks very much for all your replies - I actually found the key in a spare pair of jeans! I'd still like to get a spare in case it happens again.Thanks again.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links