Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boot Box

jeffery

Now here's a strange question. I have a 2010 1.6 Petrol Manual Verso 5 seater. In the boot behind the seats is this wide box with lid that contains the wheel brace, jack etc. All this stuff would go in a small plastic box or even a carrier bag. This box drives us nuts as it makes a two tier boot which is a nuisance i.e. no completely flat floor. Toyota unbolted and removed it for me so it is not structural.But it not much better without it as the boot floor curves downwards behind the seats. Short of a supported piece of ply to bridge the downward curve I am stuck for ideas and may have to put the darn box back. Any ideas would be welcome as it is a strange design feature I have never come across in a car before.

Many thanks

Jeffery

• Like 1

Presume it is to fill the space where the sixth and seventh seats would go in the 7 seater.

Thank you. Yes you may be right. Short of seeing a 2010 with 7 seats I can't say for certain. The items in the box in their molded compartments are quite flat but internally there is 3.5 ins of empty space above them to the lid. So it is something like 4 ins high for a reason, which of course makes a stepped boot. Looked at a new Verso 7 seater at Toyota today and the boot is completely flat with the 2 seats rising from the boot floor if needed. May have to try to check things out with the Dealer but usually they just sell them and don't know an awful lot about them hence very helpful forums.

Jeffery

Is there no way to make your own box to replace that one? Maybe make one that isn't so tall (or modify the existing one) so you end up with a flat floor. Only throwing ideas around since I haven't actually seen a 5 seater and have no idea what this actually looks like.

In the newer seven seater, the tools are stored in a space under the back seats. There's space behind that for a few more bits and pieces under a floor panel hinged at the base of the rear seats. I look at that space, sometimes, and wish there was a spare wheel in there instead of that silly little can of gunk. Will have to get some winter tyres on steel rims soon and find somewhere to stow one of those as a spare...I HATE driving a car without a spare wheel.

Apologies for late reply but have had laptop proplems. I wouldn't want to modify the existing box as would like it as it came when time comes to sell. Just for information it is behind the rear seats, width of the boot, approx 12 ins back to front and 5 ins high. When unbolted it has a large curved front that dips down bihind the rear seats and so leaves a big dip. As has been suggested by FrostyBalls I think it is some thing to do with where the rear seats go or a footrest if they are there. Where the seats would be positioned is anybodys guess as there a 50mph spare wheel under the boot floor. I agree with you I like 5 wheel cars!

Any way I think I am stuck with it, it is better in than out. Going to Toyota for service next week so will try to get more info but won't hold my breath.

Many thanks for your reply and if I get any more info I wiil post it.

I'm the same regarding the lack of spare wheel and ended up buying a space saver from eBay. It was a very tight fit into the boot - will be a real pain in the behind to try to extract in a hurry. I still keep the can of gunk in the boot just in case.

Did you leave the original boot liner in place? The Verso with a spare wheel comes with a different liner. If you remove it, the wheel will fit nicely. Did you get a 'screw' to secure the wheel as well? You don't want it flying around in case of an accident.

I bought a complete 'kit' from a toyota dealer selling things on eBay. Cost a bit but it included the correct liner, the wheel fitted with a tyre, a set of tools that I didn't need, a smaller box to store things in that sits on top of the wheel and the all important securing screw. I didn't actually bother to fit the new liner, didn't see a need for it.

I also bought my spare space saver wheel as a kit from eBay. I picked the kit without the wheel spanner and jack since I have those already. Yup, came with clamping screw and a replacement tray. It also came with a boot liner thingy that I didn't know what to do with - the seller told me it was probably intended for the 5 seater Verso.

So I got the wheel to fit in the boot but it was a very snug fit. Too snug in my opinion but then I'm fussy... :nerd:

'tis a bit tight, not much room to pack other bits around it. Won't be rattling around then :)

As it happened, it was just as well I ordered the whole kit (that was all I could find at the time). I packed it all back in the car today and found the original wheel brace (or spanner/wrench/whatever) missing.

God only knows what sort of owner that poor car had before I got hold of it. Wheel brace, owners manual, tonneau cover all missing. I suppose I should be thankful they didn't lose the steering wheel as well...

• 3 weeks later...

This has run it's course. So how do you delete a topic you started.

Thanks

Jeffery

No need to delete - I have locked it.