Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wheels

b55

Wife has 2009 IQ 2 and have noticed all the alloys have severe corrosion, is this common?

Thanks,

B55.

Don't know if you have had alloys before, but depending on the coating, they do corrode if you don't clean them often with clear water. The salt laid down during icy road conditions , attacks them. Even my new ones have started to show up corrosion

David

Can you post some pictures of the damage? They are normally very resilient to corrosion unless the finish is damaged in any way. Scratching them on kurbs is a perfect way to introduce corrosion.

I have the original set of 16" Toyota wheels and they were perfect right up until a clumsy tyre fitter scratched one when fitting new tyres. :disgust:

Craig.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had my 2010 iQ3 since new and the wheels, when clean, look the same as they did when I got it. Much better quality than the OEM alloys on my last two Lexuses.

Be careful how you clean your alloys as well. If you use any kind of 'special' cleaner or brake dust remover make sure you rinse it all off. I tried some brake dust remover some time ago on my Prius then I was called away and forgot about the stuff. It completely ruined the finish, cut right through the varnish and damaged the wheels. It looked horrible :(

My IQ is 4 years old and parked outside (no garage) wheels still look like new !

Don't scuff the alloy, keep them clean they will stay like new !

• 3 weeks later...

One of the main causes of corrosion is the brake pads. They have minute metal filings in them and these come off with braking in the dust and attach to the wheels. As they are iron they rot when getting wet and corrode. This then eats into the wheels and causes the corrosion. The best thing you can get is a product called Iron-X. It stinks to high heaven due to the amonia, but works a treat. You know when its working as it turns bright purple.

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys, my wife has a 61 Reg (September 2011) IQ 2 and I have also noticed corrosion on all four wheels, mainly near the hubs of the alloy wheels!!  the car is washed on a regular basis and she has had the car from new. I spoke to a friend a few days ago who also has an IQ 2 of the same age but she hasn't had any signs of corrosion on her alloys. I'm wondering if it is worth approaching Toyota UK and asking them if they would look at them and possibly come up with a solution to the corrosion, what do you guys think? any help would be appreciated. I also have a Smart car fortwo 451 Pulse that is a few months younger than the IQ and goes through the same washing process and frequency of washing, however, no signs of alloy wheel corrosion what so ever. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Kind Regards. Ross 

Presumably your IQ still has some of the 5 year/100,000 mile new car warranty remaining. So try approaching your dealer, but bear in mind that corrosion may be caused by external factors, rather than a manufacturing fault.

• Like 1

I have a 59 plate iQ2. I removed the wheels and replaced them with 18 inch alloys. The 18's have white corrosion on them. Where as the original ones are in the garden face up and look as good as the day i bought them

David

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links