Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Oil Weep

Snarf999

I've just had my 2005 Avensis serviced, on the report as an amber warning they've added "Slight oil weep from timing chain tensioner seal, advise".

When I spoke to the service advisor she indicated that it was an all day job to fix costing up to £1000. Skeptical, I took the report away with me and did a little research. From what I can find, the oil weep is likely to be coming from the O-ring that seals in the tensioner (certainly there is no evidence of oil on the driveway and from what I can understand, very little oil leaks from this part).

The only reason I can think for the job costing that much is either a) they're planning on replacing the whole timing chain aswell (which I don't think is needed, the car has only done 55000 miles) or b)there is a need to physically remove the engine to get at the timing chain tensioner. From what I can see option b)isn't needed (unless someone can tell me otherwise).

Seeing as I've been given the option to give feedback on my service I'd like to discuss with them whether they're trying to pull a fast one on me by charging £1000 for something that should cost less than £100 to do.

hi mate i can comment on this as i did it myself the o ring is about 4 quid from toyota dealer if you go onto youtube you will find a video on how to do it it took me about 10 mins and im no mechanic basic is the tensioner is on the back of engine you undo 2 10 mil nuts take it out there is a lug to push tensioner back you clip onto a little hook to hold in place change over oring put the tensioner back in the engine crank the engine by hand till you hear the tensioner click (you must not start engine till youve turned by hand first)thats it job done but i would watch youtube vid hope that helps mate

• Like 1

Awesome thanks mate. Main reason I asked is to find out if Toyota are over charging which it sounds like they are. Time to give them some "helpful" feedback ;)

your welcome i know i did mine for same reason car had gone in for the steering recall toyota said it wanted this doing and also exhaust back box did both myself i didnt buy the toyota oring i thought 4 quid was a lot for a rubber ring got mine for 50p from hardware shop it hasnt leaked since i would send you link to youtube vid but dont know how to or if im allowed to on here anyway best of luck forgot to say its a bit tricky to get at which is why your best off watching vid cheers

Sound like they have quoted to remove and reseal the timing case cover itself, if it is just the O ring arounf the tensioner then the repair time is just 0.8 hours if it is a timing case leak then its about 7-8 hours.

• Like 1

They don't call them stealers for nowt mate. :lol:

Sound like they have quoted to remove and reseal the timing case cover itself, if it is just the O ring arounf the tensioner then the repair time is just 0.8 hours if it is a timing case leak then its about 7-8 hours.

If they'd explained it like that I'd have accepted it, but the comment on the safety inspection word for word (including spelling mistakes!) is "Slight oil weap from timing chain tensioner seal. advise". Which suggests it's just the O-ring (I've stuck it all in an email to the dealer anyway, last time I had a complaint they didn't reply!).

Wait what? A Toyota dealer trying to ripp some one off? That is a first for me. Kick them in the nuts, they are giving toyota a bad name.

• Like 1

Well I'd call this a bit of a result, having quoted me for a ~£1000 for a timing chain cover seal replacement (instead of just a timing chain tensioner seal replacement) and £240 for some new rear pads (instead of £220 which is Toyota's fixed price for the rears, £240 is for the fronts!), the dealer has now admitted their mistakes and instead offered the tensioner seal replacement for free and the rear pads VAT free (coming in at £192 now).

I guess it pays to do a bit of research! Cheers guys! :)

• Like 1

Rear brake pads only is £100 for a 2004 > Avensis under the Toyota Fixed Price scheme. Rear brake pads & discs is £220.

& £220 incl. VAT is £183.33 ex. VAT ...

• Like 1

Sorry, I meant pads and discs! Pads were 85% worn and discs were lipped (55k miles).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links