Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Diesel Treatment To Prevent Carbon Build-Up On 2008 Avensis T180 D-Cat

58 Avensis T180

I have a 2008 Avensis 2.2d T180 D-cat. The manual says I've to use diesel that is low in sulphur which unfortunately means I need to fill the tank with the most expensive performance diesel out there, costing around 72 pounds each time I fill the tank. Someone on here claimed that you can get away with only filling the tank with the good stuff every 4th refill, using supermarket diesel inbetween, which is what I've been doing. Now I'm starting to wonder if he was right or if I should be using a diesel treatment when I fill up with the cheap diesel. Can someone who is familar with this subject please advise me? Thanks

Hello Steven,

use Forte or BG244 AND don't drive like a granny all the time as your model especially likes good blast now and again to keep the EGR/manifold and DPF clear, this is true for most modern diesels :yes: .

Pete. :thumbsup:

drive it like you stole it (once at operating temp).

my old d4d does not like supermarket fuel I stay away from it!

If you are going to thrash the life out of your diesel, just remember, the turbo is still doing 100000 rpm´s in there, let the car idle for at least 5 minutes before switching off, the oil needs to be pumped through the bearings. This time gives the turbo a chance to slow down and cool down. If you just frag it and then turn it off you could be facing some seriuos repair bills.

Other than that using cheap diesel is not a problem, some people are so tight they use sunflower oil to run their wagons.

Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated.

I'm loving this forum so many helpful people.

So you pay good money for a nice car and you probably want it to last a few years. Servicing is therefore a must so you service it according to the manufacturers specification especially when it comes down to using the correct oil and antifreeze then you put cheap fuel in it because someone down the pub says it's OK, especially if you bung some unknown substance in it. Surely if all the other things are done for a reason, which is to keep the engine in optimal condition and enhance its life, then that will also apply to the correct type of fuel too. Or maybe I'm missing something.

You don't *have* to use the super expensive diesel; ALL diesel in the UK is ULSD - Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel.

However, things like V-Power diesel have more cleaning agents and lubrication additives which keep the fuel system nice and clean and the injectors nice and... lubricated? I find in particular V-Power diesel burns cleaner (As in less soot out the exhaust when being pushed!) than regular supermarket diesel which might help slow down things like the EGR sooting up (It won't stop it completely tho' :( )

• Like 1

Thanks for your feedback. I was unaware that all UK diesel was ultra low sulphur diesel. It's the V-power diesel I use after every 3-4 refills, using supermarket diesel the rest of the time. I've noticed that opinions are divided when it comes to using supermarket diesels, because they are not of the same quality as BP, Shell, etc. You're right Whitewagon I do regularly service my car and put Toyota recommended parts/fluids in it. I only swap between fuels because it can save me £30-£40 a month depending on my mileage. However, if this is going to harm my engine I will used V-power or another equivalent all the time.

With my previous 2.2 & this one I prefer to use Shell diesel (the standard) with the occasional tankful of V-power or an additive such as BG244 or Archoil 6400-D.

Where I live in Glasgow supermarket fuel advertised pricing is at most 1p/l cheaper & often no cheaper at all than branded (BP/Esso/Shell) fuels (if you avail yourself of supermarket grocery voucher schemes admittedly those may save you up to something like 5p/l).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links