Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Key Fob Not Working Properly

smoky2004

Hi guys, I drive a 2004 Avensis 1.8 petrol.

Earlier we had very heavy rainfall, when the rain stopped I went to unlock my car but the key fob didn't appear to work. The light was flashing on the keyfob but it was not unlocking the car.

I tried the spare key fob but this wouldn't open the door either.

In the end I repeatedly pressed the unlock button and it opened the car.

What I am finding now is that I have to repeatedly press the unlock/lock button to unlock and lock the car.

Any ideas what is happening?

Just to add the central locking was opening fine with the key but of course the alarm kept going off.

Might you need a new battery in the fob..

Hi, I initially thought it was the Battery in the fob but then I tried the spare fob and that didn't work either.

Just tried it again and the fob doesn't appear to be working now even when pressed repeatedly.

You say that it was raining, could the electrics be getting wet, that might account for the intermittent unlock/locking.

Check for water ingress near the locks.

You say that it was raining, could the electrics be getting wet, that might account for the intermittent unlock/locking.

Check for water ingress near the locks.

Yes it rained like crazy earlier, as soon as the rain stopped was when I tried to get in the car and realised it wouldn't open.

Never experienced anything like this before, had the car for a long time now.

Only way the keyfob works now is by repeatedly pressing the unlock button to open the car, and then repeatedly pressing the lock button to lock the car.

Pull off the door cars and check, if water has got in that may explain your problem, if it has dry it off and waterproof it.

Pull off the door cars and check, if water has got in that may explain your problem, if it has dry it off and waterproof it.

You mean just open the door and see if water has got in?

No remove the door card to get to the locks motor and wiring.

No remove the door card to get to the locks motor and wiring.

Where is the door card?

Is it easy to remove?

I knew that was the next question :)

So I came prepared....

So I came prepared....

Thanks for the link.

Would I have to check both the driver and passenger doors or only one of them?

So I came prepared....

Thanks for the link.

Would I have to check both the driver and passenger doors or only one of them?

Okay this is really weird.

I haven't took the door card off yet, however I've just had a family member visit who drives a Toyota Yaris and they have experienced the exact same problem with their key fob too, it stopped working. I pressed the Yaris keyfob repeatedly and finally managed to get it to open.

What is going on?

Getting even more weird now, another family member who drives a Ford Fiesta been having the same problem with their key fob too.

Getting even more weird now, another family member who drives a Ford Fiesta been having the same problem with their key fob too.

The keyfob was working fine when they were at work about 4 or 5 miles away but as soon as they parked up outside my house, same problem with the keyfob.

Just phoned the RAC to see if they are aware of any key fob problems in my area and they said no.

Do you have any power cable towers or new phone masts near you ?

Or has any of you neighbours added any remote wireless gadgets.

Do you have any power cable towers or new phone masts near you ?

Or has any of you neighbours added any remote wireless gadgets.

There are power cable towers close by, no new phone masts that I'm aware of.

Unfortunately we do not have any contact with the neighbours.

This is a problem which has been going on for many years for a few miles around Fylingdales early warning station on the North York Moors due to radiaton from the station.

It sounds like you have something in your area causing similar problems.

Just to point out we have never experienced anything like this before.

RAC also said they have not had any key fob problems reported in my area.

The driver of the Fiesta had no problems when they left our house this morning for work.

Then all around the same time Avensis having problems with key fob, Yaris was fine all day but the driver of that car lives at a different address, as soon as they came here around dinner time they started experiencing the key fob problems and when the Fiesta driver returned from work they also noticed key fob problems.

All key fobs have started working now perfectly on all cars. I tried ringing the AA too to ask if they were aware of any problems in the area with key fobs and they also said no.

There was a load of rain, thunder and lightening earlier, but still I'm left puzzled.

The AA's advice was to ring the car manufacturer, when I explained we are having the same problem with different makes of car and have tried the spare key fobs too, they were still telling me to ring the car manufacturer.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice, hopefully we will find out soon what was affecting the key fobs.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links