Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New (To Me) Iq2

Meld

Hello, I have been browsing for a few days, so thought I'd say thanks for the useful info I have found here and confess to having just signed on the line for an IQ2 automatic. It's ex-motabilty (therefore all serviced on the nail), 2010 (60 plate), in Silver - my least favourite colour, but that's the only thing not perfect about the car so far.

I hadn't really considered an IQ, thinking it would be like a Smart - I've driven a few of those an not rally enjoyed them. But after looking around at the usual suspects (Aygo, Jazz, Corsa, Matiz etc) I gave one a closer look and was really very surprised how well built they were. After a test drive, I was more impressed, although the one I drove first had a manual box. It took a few days to track down an auto at a reasonable price and this afternoon, the deal was done.

The IQ's going to sit alongside my Lexus IS300, which I still reckon is a fabulous car but the 3 litre straight 6 engine is slightly over the top for my commute.

Hello Ian - welcome to Toyota Owners Club

• Like 1

Hello and welcome to the Fun House. Hope you have many a happy mile driving your iQ :driving:

• Like 1

Welcome to the best forum for iQ's. Lots of help available here if you need it. I reckon Silver is a good colour... take a look at Craggle (Craig's) Silver iQ on this forum. You can do a lot with it to make it more unique, and the Silver lends itself to a good look with the right modifications, visual and otherwise.

We find ourselves using the iQ as a "runabout", used for errands and such, with the rear seats always down as a platform. However, for short trips of a week or so, it's a great car, comfortable, and economical in the bargain.

I'm just afraid that there won't be a newer model there in three or four years when it's time to replace it.

We find ourselves using the iQ as a "runabout", used for errands and such, with the rear seats always down as a platform. However, for short trips of a week or so, it's a great car, comfortable, and economical in the bargain.

I'm just afraid that there won't be a newer model there in three or four years when it's time to replace it.

Agreed, such a shame here in Europe/UK, however, the Scion might still go on for longer.

Hope you enjoy your IQ run about !

I've had the IQ a week now, and I am very happy. It's a great little commuter town car and it's done a couple of trips on the M1 too, where the little engine feels slightly underpowered for crusing at 80!

I've had the IQ a week now, and I am very happy. It's a great little commuter town car and it's done a couple of trips on the M1 too, where the little engine feels slightly underpowered for crusing at 80!

My View - I find that 70 MPH is OK above that is a little too much for my IQ

My View - I find that 70 MPH is OK above that is a little too much for my IQ

I think you're absolutely right - the little car seems to have a natural cruising speed just below 70. But, I bought it as a city car, not for the motorway, my lovely lexus will do that job (and burn fuel at twice the rate!).

You'll love it. We love ours.

You can park on all those little half spaces between a badly parked Audi and the double yellows :)

Then you'll love being able to set off doing a U turn straight from the road side in one go. You'll forget what a 3 point turn is all about.

My favourite trick is when parking in supermarkets or multistories. I park right up against the wall as if I were a full sized car and then chuckle to myself at all the people driving along thinking they've seen an empty space because of a gap, only to find the IQ parked nose in. Little things amuse my little mind :)

But seriously, when we head into town we take the IQ. No worries. And she'll sit on the motorway at 70 quite happily and smoothly considering the size of the car. 80 is pushing it but can be done. We have the 1.0 IQ1 with an auto box.

We here in the Lone Star State (aka Texas) are able to drive (legally) at 85 mph on one of our toll roads, so we've had our CVT iQ at a full range of speeds for some time now. While it will handle 85 mph well enough, the fuel economy at that rate is a bit reduced from the fully attainable 37 mpg (not Imperial gallons, mind you).

The runs that we've done on Texas Toll 130 have returned readings of 31 to 32 mpg, not the sort of economy that owners are accustomed to getting. Based upon this road and others in the state, the best return that we have gotten was at speeds at or below 60 mph. In fact, it looks like the iQ was tuned by the Japanese to return the best miles per gallon performance at the probably common 100 kph speed limits that I recall from my driving time in Japan (back thirty years ago).

We have obtained tankfuls that ran up to 42 mpg, but that occurred with substantial tail winds (running north out of Texas on our I-35 interstate highway, traveling over rolling prairie terrain). We did not obtain the same performance returning south over the same road, nor did we obtain it on a subsequent trip.

Other than the lightning quick performance of the electric power steering, which you have to watch closely at highway speeds, the iQ is an excellent highway car. Your mileage may vary of course, particularly with your chubby Imperial gallons...

You'll love it. We love ours.

You can park on all those little half spaces between a badly parked Audi and the double yellows :)

Then you'll love being able to set off doing a U turn straight from the road side in one go. You'll forget what a 3 point turn is all about.

My favourite trick is when parking in supermarkets or multistories. I park right up against the wall as if I were a full sized car and then chuckle to myself at all the people driving along thinking they've seen an empty space because of a gap, only to find the IQ parked nose in. Little things amuse my little mind :)

But seriously, when we head into town we take the IQ. No worries. And she'll sit on the motorway at 70 quite happily and smoothly considering the size of the car. 80 is pushing it but can be done. We have the 1.0 IQ1 with an auto box.

Fully agree ease of parking of the IQ is better than any other car I have owned or driven !

You're right about car parks..... I came out of Tesco yesterday and thought somebody had nicked the car becasue the space I'd left it in was empty! A short moment of panic.

• Like 1

Another point about the little size of the iQ is that it is not wise to pull all of the way into a parking space. If you do and are unfortunate enough to have a large SUV driven by someone talking on a cell phone wanting to pull into the apparently empty space, you may regret your decision.

This was a topic on the smart forums, and someone had actually had this problem with their smart when it was parked all of the way into a space.

Another point about the little size of the iQ is that it is not wise to pull all of the way into a parking space. If you do and are unfortunate enough to have a large SUV driven by someone talking on a cell phone wanting to pull into the apparently empty space, you may regret your decision.

This was a topic on the smart forums, and someone had actually had this problem with their smart when it was parked all of the way into a space.

Very valid point, my IQ was hit when parked in this way in a car park, I did not see what happened however it could have been because the person who hit me thought the space was empty and reversed into hit hitting my IQ that was set back from line of other parked cars !

You can't worry about such things, otherwise you'd never head out.

You can't worry about such things, otherwise you'd never head out.

Agreed ! I never "Worry" because it's "Negative Goal Setting" in action, I just park in line with the other cars now !

• 1 month later...

6 weeks in, I thought it was time for an update report. Summary: the little IQ is brilliant, and does exactly the job I wanted it to. Perfect for the commute, dead easy to park and more fun to drive than I expected. It even accomplished at trip to IKEA earlier this week (OK, I wasn't buying anything big!).

Over about 800 miles, it's averaged 45.6mpg, which isn't as good as I had hoped for, but I guess it's OK for an auto doing mostly short trips and the air con has been on for most of the time.

I hate to say it but that's about right for economy on the auto. You can eke out more by being super careful but it isn't as good as the manual at all. We bought ours for ease of parking and town use and at that it excels. On a run the fuel economy is acceptable but you're lucky to get over 50 mpg without being a Miss Daisy about it. The official rating was something like 58 mpg and that's usually in ideal circumstance.

Always check your tyres.

Tyres were all about 3 or 4 psi light on delivery, but once blown up properly are now holding pressure fine.

Was that before or after you'd experienced poor economy?

I am shocked that many dealers don't check the tyres or worse, than many just pump 30 psi all round. Temperature does make a difference though, so if you've gone from hot to warm or warm to cold always check your tyres again.