Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Avensis D4D 2003 End

banginiss

Hello guys just bought toyota avensis d4d end of 2003. 2.0 L dyzel engine. Since bought it blind , in auction . And there is a problem. It doesnt go . It drives but there is no speed at all it consume **** loa of diesel it accelerate but doesn't gain any speed. Hardly make 40 mph. So basicly drove back 4minles from auction home. Seems turbo doesn't work. But there was no problems on cars dash board. No extra lights on. So i thought i unplug air flow sensor off to check if it cause the problem . But nothing changed pluged it back and now there is Engine sign on dash board. Car still doesnt make any speed well i am not driving with it. What do you think cause this problem ? is it any of these sensors it has ? OR turbo is gone ? But it doesnt smoke so bad i tryed to check few pipes that goes to turbo didnt see any extra oil in there . And now i am extremely busy with my job dont have time to get it to service to connect to pc. So asking any of you guys/ ladies with experience with these type of cars ,and engines. Car has made 192 000 miles. Seems the last owner didnt pay to much attention to this car.

And i live in liverpool, maybe someone know any good affordable garages.

Thanks

i could upload some pictures if it would help anything but i guess it wouldnt :)

'So i thought i unplug air flow sensor off to check if it cause the problem . But nothing changed pluged it back and now there is Engine sign on dash board. '

The engine management light maybe on because you unplugged sensor, I suggest you disconnect negative Battery lead for 20 minutes, this should reset the ecu.

I hope you didn't pay much for the car.

I have had similar problems

I posted a reply to another member earlier this week.

The problem may be a clogged fuel system through using supermarket fuels and to cure, change the fuel filter and use a diesel fuel additive,BG244,or similar from "Powerenhancer" which will clear and clean the system. This worked very well and the car regained perrformance in about 100-200mls.

About two years later I lost power over 3000revs. and it proved to be the two "Suction Control Valves" which are a known issue with the D4D engine, as the mileage increases.

These valves area availlable from PartsKing or eBay and there is a Youtube video illustrating how to fit them. They are not cheap, anywhere from £190.00 to £260.00

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/87986-42-d4d-scv-valve-replacement/

this may help with regards to scv valves.

before you spend 200+ on scv valves. I would start on the cheapest first.

change fuel filter and air filter

check all intake/turbo hoses and vacuum hoses for air leaks

clean egr valve with carb cleaner (mine did not show any engine lights when blocked and in limp mode)- http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/114711-2003-d4d-egr-clean/

clean MAF sensor with contact cleaner or maf cleaner.

clean MAP sensor- with contact cleaner.

I would even look at cleaning inlet manifold.

only then I would look at expensive stuff;

Turbo,scv,injectors,fuel pump

• Like 1

Just took off airflow and egr off for cleaning. Well i dont know what is expensinve whats not paid 800 pound for it. Its very strange it had full tank fuel i dont know but i guess they sold it because of the problem. Getting my new filters on saturday. Ye will try to clean all sensors that i can. The thing is it allowes engine go over 5000 revs, just there is no torque when you drive it . will pop few screens.

Another thing i took 2 pipes from EGR one with liquid another one emty pipes looks like vacuum or whatever, shouldnt there be 2 pipes with water if it circulates? or i dont get how does it cool it . Anyway there is no limp mode just no turbo as i understand.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/87986-42-d4d-scv-valve-replacement/

this may help with regards to scv valves.

before you spend 200+ on scv valves. I would start on the cheapest first.

change fuel filter and air filter

check all intake/turbo hoses and vacuum hoses for air leaks

clean egr valve with carb cleaner (mine did not show any engine lights when blocked and in limp mode)- http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/114711-2003-d4d-egr-clean/

clean MAF sensor with contact cleaner or maf cleaner.

clean MAP sensor- with contact cleaner.

I would even look at cleaning inlet manifold.

only then I would look at expensive stuff;

Turbo,scv,injectors,fuel pump

Couldn't agree more.

Other members have summed it up quite well. I would start with little things first. Can you please tell if you are idling ok. That would eliminate somethings and tell alot about the health of the car. Is it starting ok? check these things first and keep us posted please.

Regards,

Waqar

EGR , Air flow arleady cleaned waiting till it dry. Tomorrow taking new filter , fuel and air. Car starts without a problem , there is some kind of sound witch disappear when you put some torque , it work on less than 1000 rev there is some kind strange sound when you reach arround 2000 it disapier. Also the exhaust has a hole so it sounds like 5 litter petrol car lol .

Another thing about that Map sensor where can i find it ? i tryed to search on forum its like hole system of wires and so on .

Alright updating info. Changed filters fuel, and air, cleaned EGR, and air flow, with special cleaners, valvoline. Put it all back together took of Battery cable to reset computer , waited 20min. Still no torque seems turbo doesnt work. Second gear pushing speed pedal to the ground it just dont go . Revs go over 3500 and still hardly reach 30 miles/h on second gear.

I did my clutch & flywheel over the weekend, check the two boost pipes if you look under Battery, one goes to the throttle body other goes to the black metal airtube,

my map was clean and its done 160,000.

I left a vac pipe off that plugs into maf sensor, the car had no boost,

I have attached some pictures for you, it shows the vac pipes and air pipes.

post-125194-0-63389800-1404073047_thumb.

post-125194-0-35549900-1404073052_thumb.

this is what a map sensor looks like & and its location attached.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-RAV4-AVENSIS-COROLLA-TURBO-PRESSURE-MAP-SENSOR-89421-20210-079800-5130-/111380881020?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19eed15e7c

Look for 89421C under there will be a vac pipe please check that.

post-125194-0-35444100-1404073399_thumb.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi problem solved , turbo pipe was damaged they replaced it had computer diagnostic total spent 50 pound that is it .

which turbo pipe was it, was it one of the two that go into the intercooler, or the one that goes from the airbox to the turbo.

Sorry i dont know i wasnt the one who took car from garage. Having problems with timing belt now