Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dashboard Camera

smudge-1991

Probably does, mines an old model now.

Nope mate actually the quality is on a very current level of DOD. I tested the very new RX8W and found out that the quality was pretty much the same as yours. Also many reviews and tests state that the difference is minimal when comparing DOD LS430W (which you have if my memory serves me right) to LS460W which is the newest version of that same camera.

Probably does, mines an old model now.

Nope mate actually the quality is on a very current level of DOD. I tested the very new RX8W and found out that the quality was pretty much the same as yours. Also many reviews and tests state that the difference is minimal when comparing DOD LS430W (which you have if my memory serves me right) to LS460W which is the newest version of that same camera.

Thanks for the info.....

Also I have the LS360W model... The LS430W/LS460W are the models that come with the GPS unit on top.... Not something I was interested in.

Great quality video, you can clearly see the registration number of the van. One of my pet hates with CCTV is when viewing on a screen the quality is great, but once recorded the images are very grainy

Nice job

I know what you mean..... But the way I see it is, whichever dash cam one chooses as long as it does produce clear usable video quality, then it's unnecessary going too crazy pixel peeping and obsessive in looking for the ultimate dash cam.. After all, give it 3 months and a newer better model always comes out...

Oh yeah it was 360 sorry, my mistake. Anyways, the difference is very small to me when comparing those three :)

I just looked at the RX8W, and it was something I was interested in.... But are they only designed for left hand drive... As the camera is on the left side of the mirror...

The Mobius review...

https://youtu.be/7wmIyD1fM4M

The DOD LS430W

https://youtu.be/aLFZuKSYiZs

This you tuber 'Techmoan' does some real in depth unbiased reviews....

• Like 1

No the RX8W is for both RHD and LHD cars. The mirror is anyways bigger than the original one so it will not restrict your visibility behind. The lens will just be on different side of the mirror, that's all. The lens itself is adjustable so even though the mirror will be turned on one or another side you can adjust the lens to face straight. Actually I think it is more made for RHD cars as it's made in Asia for their market mostly? The mirror is made "taller" on the opposite side of the driver to see better the passing cars and other things happening on the left side. For right side it gives "normal" visibility. It is not that big to make you see much more on an Auris though, with original mirror you see only the rear window, with this one you see the pillars on the sides aswell. It's not a panoramic mirror so... As a LHD driver the biggest difference was I saw more of my head than with original mirror. This should not happen on RHD cars and this is how it should be I suppose.

Yeah Techmoan is very good, I've been looking through his videos. On his samples Mobius and DOD seem quite same though. Mostly the difference seems to be in type of video (brightness, contrast etc) not in the quality. Of course those things affect the visibility a bit but not much. Your opinions are welcome on this :)

I got front and rear black vue and the pro`s said cant wire to a Battery saver? so I just plugged into triple !Removed! lighter adapter.

You would be amazed at how your car gets treated when in a garage for repairs!!!!!

"I got front and rear black vue and the pro`s said cant wire to a Battery saver?"

So have I, wired into a Power Magic Pro Battery saver! But mines a dual channel model with only 12v to the front camera.

For separate front and rear cameras a Power Magic Pro + is required which will power both cameras. So the "pros" are incorrect! The + will also work with any 2 camera set up requiring a12v supply.

Not a cheap solution though. :disgust:

When my car goes in for it's next service I'm tempted to mute the camera's voice prompt and record l.e.d. to monitor their behaviour. :spiteful:

Yeah only front cam has the power and sd card but the link on police witness.com that do the work said can only wire to ignition so I thought, may as well just plug into !Removed! lighter for free!

I got front and rear black vue and the pro`s said cant wire to a battery saver? so I just plugged into triple !Removed! lighter adapter.

You would be amazed at how your car gets treated when in a garage for repairs!!!!!

For the Blackvue dual camera setup, the rear camera is powered thru the co-ax cable that also sends the picture data to the SD card in the front.

I got front and rear black vue and the pro`s said cant wire to a battery saver? so I just plugged into triple !Removed! lighter adapter.

For the Blackvue dual camera setup, the rear camera is powered thru the co-ax cable that also sends the picture data to the SD card in the front.
Also, there should be no reason not to run the system thru the Battery saver from a permanent live feed.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

I finally got around to fitting my Lukas 7950 and it is very, very good. I picked the Lukas 7950 for a number of reasons.I wanted a high quality Duo front and back set up.

Although I will rarely use the parked feature it may prove useful in the future.

The Lukas can be switched On, Ignition only, or park.

It takes standard CPL & UV filters which protects the lens.

Built in vehicle Battery cut -off, super-cap, GPS and a wi-fi dongle to an APP, on a smart phone.

I was also aware that many Dash Cams cause DAB radio problems but Lukas appear to be well screened.

Last but no means least, price. I bought mine from Calgary Dash Cam and saved £130 on the UK price. At £200 with CPL and 40GB it’s a bargain.

The installation in a Toyota Auris Hybrid (Corolla in some countries) was not too bad once I found the fuse box. Toyota hide it upside down behind the glove box, at the bottom of the box. The only way to see it is to lay on your back, feat in the air, in the passengers foot well (RHD). Not a position I am comfortable with. The fuses do not relate to the hand-book and are not normal mini fuses but new flush fuses. The good news is the fuses I wanted to use were at the very end of the fuse box, marked P/ Outlet, 1, always hot, and Cig,17, ignition on. The handbook says the P/ Outlet is for the luggage area but on my Hybrid Auris that outlet only works with ignition on. I wanted to use fuse taps “ add a circuit” and I needed A “Hot” and Ignition to use the camera in park mode. At first these new flush fuse looked too small to use fuse taps. After a visit to an auto electrician I was told they were the same pitch but while you can use standard mini fuses in the flush fuse holder, you cannot use mini flush fuses in the fuse tap. As the fuse taps need two fuses (one replace the used circuit and one for the added circuit) you need two mini 15Amp and two 3Amp fuses. The Lukas glass fuses are not needed so these were discarded and the bullets soldered.

The Front camera was installed behind the mirror, the screen clip allows it to be slid out to get at the chips and I do not want any visual distractions, lights,voices or LED’s, while driving. All these features can be switched via the AP or the viewer.

The cables tucked out of the way under the headliner, across the top of the passenger A pillar and the top of the B pillar to the back. These look to be above the air bags.The power cable runs down under the weather strip into the void behind the glove box.

The rear camera is much smaller and is fitted to the high stop light cover. Access to the headlining can be gained by removing the three studs and the weather strip around the tailgate. The stop light plastic cover just pulls off and the cable can then be fed through the gator. The end of the gator in the tailgate is easy,but the end under the roof- lining is tricky to re-seat. The hard white plastic saddle needs to be released and pushed out of the hole upwards, from under the headlining. The rubber gator fits over it and it then needs to clip back in the hole to form a tight seal. A piece of stiff wire and string may be a better way, in hindsight, but either is a bit of a fiddle.

Once into the tailgate it is all very straight forward, a slot in the cover for the cover to fit flush over the cable and job done. I could not avoid the heater wires completely but they hardly notice.

post-133586-0-88080900-1437493624_thumb.

post-133586-0-37293900-1437493627_thumb.

post-133586-0-90948600-1437493629_thumb.

post-133586-0-76425000-1437493632_thumb.

post-133586-0-05053400-1437493888_thumb.

post-133586-0-39244900-1437493898_thumb.

post-133586-0-46078100-1437493909_thumb.

post-133586-0-96774100-1437493929_thumb.

• Like 3

Nice write up, very neat install. Well done!

Nano fuse tap and nano fuses would fit into our car's fuse box and our fuse box is a PITA to get to.

One word of advice from experience. I would leave the mic on as Lukas is most like the same as Blackvue in regards to Parking Mode.

Reason is somebody hit me last Sunday whilst parked in a side street. Couldn't find the Event footage but found it under Parking. The bump was minor so it didn't trigger off a Event hince no Event footage but enough to scrape and left a gash in my front bumper. Now if I did not have the mic on, I wouldn't know who'd hit me. With the mic on, I figured out who it was that had hit my car due to the sound from the impact and made a claim.

He'd denied and said that he wasn't there at the time and knew nothing about it even though my insurance company told him that it's all been caught on Dashcam.

Still waiting on the outcome of the claim though.