Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Incredibly Loud Metallic Rattle

KarlG

Hi,

I have a 2001 mk2 Rav4 2.0 D-4D.

Last week I had a squeak which seemed to be coming from the pulley connected to the water pump. The clock is on 74,000 so is 14,000 overdue on it's belt replacement. I gave it a bit of WD40 which removed the squeak whilst I braced myself to finally get around to doing the belt.

However yesterday a really (really) loud rattle has developed that seems to be coming from somewhere other than the water pump. I got under the car and I think it is coming from the lower half of the block closest to the nearside wheel, but haven't had time to investigate further yet.

The noise is strange because its not consistent. The volume seems to increase to an embarrassing level in lower speeds but will completely disappear when hitting 40mph+. Pressing the clutch pedal in seems to reduce the noise, and when I come to my bite it gets incredibly bad, but i'm not sure if this is a clutch related problem or whether it is just due to the acceleration/ increased vibrations.

It seems to me that a bearing has exploded somewhere and BB's are flying around next to a spinning component. It still drives fine and everything is working, except for the noise. Some research suggests it could be the alternator flywheel clutch or air con compressor...

Has anyone experienced the same issue or know what it could be?

Thanks in advance!

The first suspect would be the DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel) - they tend to fail on this model at about the mileage you've covered. There are usually other symptoms but what you describe is consistent with a DMF failure. I suggest a search of this forum, but if it is the DMF - it's common to fit a conventional flywheel + clutch. This eliminates the possibility of a similar failure in future and the vast majority of owners are very happy with the conversion. The advice would be to fit a good brand clutch and flywheel kit Sachs, Blueprint etc)

From a mileage viewpoint, I wouldn't be overly concerned about the cambelt - the concern is that it's been in place for 13 years or so. I really would replace it ASAP - a failure will result in serious engine damage.

Sounds like mine, is it shaking on tickover?

• 2 weeks later...

yep lots of shaking and lots of rattling. Looked into the DMF and it seemed the most likely. The solution I found was to dump the problem back with toyota by Part exing it for a New one :) Picking it up in 3 weeks