Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sr 180 Trouble After New Engine Fitted

berbick0107

Hi all ,

My first month of owning a second hand rav4 sr180 hasn't been a pleasant experience, in the first two weeks I found that it had head gasket failure so I had the engine replaced by mr t , so I thought I should be fine now with a new 3/4 engine and a new egr valve, I also had the clutch replaced at my cost which was my choice, so after doing about 500 or so miles everything seemed fine until this flashed up on dash CHECK ..ESC ... Vsc... 4x4 I was on motorway at the time car was still running fine then it put me on limp mode,after a few scary moments managed to pull in switched car off then it went ok for about a mile then back to limp mode , then for the last quarter of my long journey it seemed to go ok lights on dash still on though , I managed to get it home ok and just left it over the weekend,I've just been to take it for quick spin before it goes back to dealer to have it checked and the warning lights have just gone out .. My question is will these faults still be on system when they check it tomorrow ,I don't fancy another trip like the one I had in limp mode, I really like the car but reliability is a must especially when the mrs is ferrying the kids about , just hope it is something simple fingers crossed !

Sorry to hear of your misfortune Brent, but these engines are well-known to have head-gasket issues to us here. The fault codes will be logged and can be retrieved when the dealer/garage plugs in to the diagnostic port. So don't be too worried that the car will behave & make you look silly !

The general experience after fitting a new engine is excellent and uneventful and many cars have subsequently covered high mileage reliably. Hopefully the subsequent issue is just an unfortunate one off and easily remedied.

Thanks for the replies!!

Turns out it was blocked dpnr or dpf, I was told it must have cleared itself , so they put it through a regen and took it for a spin and said all is fine, am I likely to get this problem all the time? I don't use supermarket fuel as I know this doesn't help matters,is there anything else I can do to prevent it happening again?

Thanks

Brent

This may simply be the aftermath of the previous engine problems. Whether you get ongoing problems largely depends on your driving pattern. If all you do from week to week is short journeys, town driving etc - this will not allow the DPF to regenerate properly. Regular motorway journeys are great and failing that you'd need at least a weekly journey of 20 minutes or so at a minimum speed of 40MPH to allow full regeneration.

Brent get rid of it while its working, sorry to sound hard but I`ve heard so many sad stories about the 2.2d 180.

You may be lucky unlike some who`ve had 2 and even 3 replacement motors.

Brent get rid of it while its working, sorry to sound hard but I`ve heard so many sad stories about the 2.2d 180.

That's a bit harsh, Dave.

I've followed the 2AD saga on this forum for a few years now and I can only recall one or two second replacements and IIRC they were caused by the first replacements having been rebuilt by the dealer before Toyota implemented the policy of only replacing with factory built motors. I've not heard of any of those factory units needing replacement and certainly have not personally heard of 3rd replacements - not on this or the other RAV forums I frequent.

Of course I'm open to correction if you know of specific instances.

• Like 1

As noted by Firemac, there were some quality issues in the early days when engines were rebuilt at dealerships - thereafter there are lots of positive reports of the experience with replacement engines. I'd worry slightly if I owned an earlier Rav with an original 2AD engine, but I'd be very happy owning a 5 year old car with what's essentially a new engine.

That's a bit harsh, Dave.

I've followed the 2AD saga on this forum for a few years now and I can only recall one or two second replacements and IIRC they were caused by the first replacements having been rebuilt by the dealer before Toyota implemented the policy of only replacing with factory built motors. I've not heard of any of those factory units needing replacement and certainly have not personally heard of 3rd replacements - not on this or the other RAV forums I frequent.

Of course I'm open to correction if you know of specific instances.

Ex forum membef CharlieFarley had an engine shipped over from Japan! And that went pop! Then they put a Brand New engine in for him.

Using BG244 will help! Along with Shell V-Power derv in keeping the DPF clean. Also an "Italian Tune Up" up a !Removed! big hill will help :)

The code you got was probably P2002. Prior to getting to replacement the engines can get very sooted up, and I don't know what the Toyota procedure cleans/checks as a part of the replacement. If not the DPNR/CAT itself, blocked pipework to the differential pressure sensor can cause this code (the pressure sensor is how the ECU measures the CAT). If this is the case, a decent blow through with an air line will likely do the trick. I have a vague recollection that modified pipework was fitted to later cars.

Thanks for the advice , it is such a nice car I'm gonna bear with it and see how it goes, hopefully it was just a one off , defo gonna try some bg244 with a tank full of v power !!

Thanks

Brent

• 3 weeks later...

Car is now running really well new engine is so smooth with plenty of power ,I have noticed that the 180 model doesn't like to be driven with low revs , fuel economy is pretty good too on texaco supreme .

I find with my SR that the engine is perfectly happy pulling between 1500 & 2500 rpm. It will do more of course, but in the interests of MPG that's the 'norm'. Any lesser revs above 3rd gear obviously require you to change down, but that's perfectly reasonable.

Are you on commission? :mellow:

Nope!... Just own the company ;)

Mods: Please arrange to send Taff a Traders invoice :lol: :lol:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links