Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anti-Roll Bar Linkage

camrul786

hey guys, got my mot done today, it passed, but this comment was in the advisory items.

001 front (both) anti-roll bar linkage rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movements [2.4.G.2]

what does this mean? the guy said it doesnt have to be fixed until a few months, but can anyone advise how bad this is and how much itll cost to fix? thanks

Parts are £50 plus from dealers . but c £15 per side (x2) from ECP.

Fitting is 20 minutes a side.

Easy for the competent DIYer: less than £100 from an independent.

Fitted some to son's Yaris earlier this year.

• Like 1

20 mins! Took us a lot longer!! :crybaby:

I was using the poly ones from Energy Suspension, and those have to be dropped down rather than pushed up, which requires unscrewing the whole anti-roll bar as the axle is in the way... (The driver's side mount is particularly difficult! So tight! Only able to do 1/8 of a turn at a time!)

In hind sight I should have gotten the cheap ones from ECP then chucked the rubbers and used the bolts with the poly ones... but hopefully these poly ones won't ever need replacing ever again! (I must admit it is good quality; corrosion resistant bolt and nylocks with the poly bushes; Still looks in great condition!)

@camrul786 - That warning is VERY common on Mk1 Yarisusuesisases - The standard ARB link rubbers appear to degrade extremely quickly on the outside; HOWEVER, the inside bit, that actually does the work, is fine. The common wisdom is that you can safely ignore the warning as it is misleading - The ARB link will still do its job and won't cause any problems.

If the suspension makes a 'clunk' when going over bumps and such tho', that is when it is time to change them!

Even if you change them, there is a good chance the advisory will come up again within a year or two anyway (Well, unless they've changed the rubber compound...)

After the first time, I just ignored the warning for about 3 or so MOT's before replacing my ARB links with polyurethane ones I got from superflex - These ones are much hardier and don't degrade, but they are pretty expensive (If you are on holiday in the US, you could buy them much cheaper there from Energy Suspension directly instead of importing via Superflex! It's a shame there seem to be a lot less of us Mk1 owners these days or it'd be worth trying to do a group-buy!)

That warning is VERY common on Mk1 Yarisusuesisases - The standard ARB link rubbers appear to degrade extremely quickly on the outside; HOWEVER, the inside bit, that actually does the work, is fine. The common wisdom is that you can safely ignore the warning as it is misleading - The ARB link will still do its job and won't cause any problems.

If the suspension makes a 'clunk' when going over bumps and such tho', that is when it is time to change them!

Even if you change them, there is a good chance the advisory will come up again within a year or two anyway (Well, unless they've changed the rubber compound...)

I agree 100% with Cyker's statement above! We once got an advisory for the same thing so I bought a set, we sold the car 5 years later and still never had them fitted, the damn things are taking up room in my garage lol!
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey,

not sure if you have had this fixed yet. Recently had the same issue managed to get both bushes for £12 ish, easy to fit and the difference once fixed is amazing. My Yaris now drives like a new car.

Hope this helps :D

• 1 year later...

Got the same advisory from my 03 Yaris today. Should I opt for the Superflex bushes (found them on eBay for 60 quid!!) or buy the cheap ones and expect to get another advisory for the next year or so?

The cheap £12 ones last 3-4 years.. £60 for bushes means you have to own a car a long time to repay that if you DIY..

The good thing about the poly ones is they're virtually indestructible and you'll never have to change them ever again ever. However they are really expensive and a massive pain in the **** to fit and seem to function identically to the normal ones except they don't visibly degrade.

As for which one to go for, I'd go for the third option: Ignore the advisory until you get clonking sounds and worry about it then :)

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
On 7/22/2014 at 2:43 AM, camrul786 said:

hey guys, got my mot done today, it passed, but this comment was in the advisory items.

001 front (both) anti-roll bar linkage rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movements [2.4.G.2]

what does this mean? the guy said it doesnt have to be fixed until a few months, but can anyone advise how bad this is and how much itll cost to fix? thanks

common issue with mrk 1 yaris vnk engine code. they dont seem to last long. 

might be possible to get some polyurethane rod and cut some new bushes from it and fit to new drop links

This is a seven year old topic, so the OP has probably solved the problem.