Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prodigal Son Returns

catboy

Hi everybody, back in 2012 I purchased a Yaris t4 Hybrid.I had it for 6 months and exchanged it for an Urban Cruiser 1.4 diesel maybe I was a bit hasty.I have traded in the urban cruiser and now I have a new Auris Excel hybrid which i find is well worth the extra so I have come in from the cold and come to my senses.I hope grumpy cabbie is pleased with my choice.

..... but your profile says you're still an Urban Cruiser owner ......

Is it a closet Auris Hybrid?

Sorry I will change my profile and come out of the closet

lol why should it matter if I'm pleased? :)

If you're happy then I'm happy.

I can't recall what happened to cause you to change. Were you fed up with it? Why the Cruiser? And why diesel? lol. Lord I hate diesel cars. Why do people still buy them? Aside from the pollution issues, they're noisy, smelly, more expensive to fill up, need servicing more often and in some cases the fuel economy benefits are negligible. I do appreciate they do get better economy on A roads and motorways compared to petrol, but I still believe a hybrid will beat a similar sized and powered diesel any day.

... Lord I hate diesel cars. Why do people still buy them? Aside from the pollution issues, they're noisy, smelly, more expensive to fill up, need servicing more often and in some cases the fuel economy benefits are negligible...

Well, we may not see eye to eye on everything :clap: , but I'm 110% with you on this one. They're also one of the biggest sinners for NOX gases that'll see big fines for the UK and some cities, and possibly draconian vehicle bans like Paris had recently when pollution is at it's worst. (see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18617815 )

I know the authorities around the world are extremely worried, because they've concentrated on benefits for cars with lower CO2 they missed the fact that NOX gases are more dangerous locally and diesels (even small cars) produce lots of it. They don't know what to do about it, because they can't suddenly take most diesels off the road, but hiking road tax dramatically for them is certainly being thought about (they're just worried about the political fall out).

A few years ago I dismayed a couple of friends who'd bought small diesel cars for economy, by showing them that, with their relatively low annual mileage, taking into account higher purchase cost, worse depreciation, higher fuel cost, and maintenance costs they were at least a few hundred pounds a year worse off than if they'd bought the petrol version of the same car!

The sinner has learnt the error of his ways and repented. Brethren, welcome him back into the hybrid fold ......

Hi I think it was a momentary lapse of common sense on my part plus I was only doing about 5000 miles per year.I didn't do enough homework before I bought the Urban Cruiser.Having said that I am more than happy with the Auris and have already done 50+ miles per gallon without trying which is better than the Cruiser at only 42mpg.

• Like 1

And why diesel? lol. Lord I hate diesel cars. Why do people still buy them? Aside from the pollution issues, they're noisy, smelly, more expensive to fill up, need servicing more often and in some cases the fuel economy benefits are negligible. I do appreciate they do get better economy on A roads and motorways compared to petrol, but I still believe a hybrid will beat a similar sized and powered diesel any day.

I ended up with a diesel Verso because that's all there was. Seems that hardly anyone buys petrol Verso's so if you want a used car, diesel is just about all there is without a long wait and much trudging around. Actually it all worked out quite well, almost all my mileage is on dual carriageways and motorways, only veering off them to fill up and reach those houses at the end of each journey...and almost every journey is 40+ miles.

It was more by luck than judgement to be honest, I didn't think consciously about it at the time and the sales droid made no mention at all of the potential pitfalls with owning a diesel. For all he knew, I could have been intending to drive it to the shops and back twice a day.

I do still miss the Prius, so easy to drive, but the diesel torque makes for a nice gentle relentless push in the back when it's needed and it's nice to have a manual gearbox...gives me something to do in the car besides steer - helps with the staying awake thing...

Thanking you all for your support in my repentance,I have now rid the burden of the devils personal friend(DPF)and will continue to follow the path of righteousness.

• Like 1

... Lord I hate diesel cars. Why do people still buy them? Aside from the pollution issues, they're noisy, smelly, more expensive to fill up, need servicing more often and in some cases the fuel economy benefits are negligible...

Well, we may not see eye to eye on everything :clap: , but I'm 110% with you on this one. They're also one of the biggest sinners for NOX gases that'll see big fines for the UK and some cities, and possibly draconian vehicle bans like Paris had recently when pollution is at it's worst. (see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18617815 )

I know the authorities around the world are extremely worried, because they've concentrated on benefits for cars with lower CO2 they missed the fact that NOX gases are more dangerous locally and diesels (even small cars) produce lots of it. They don't know what to do about it, because they can't suddenly take most diesels off the road, but hiking road tax dramatically for them is certainly being thought about (they're just worried about the political fall out).

Yep the emissions are my pet hate but there's also the racket they make. This little article from Clarkson in 1993 sums it up;

http://www.topgear.com/uk/jeremy-clarkson/clarkson-diesel-11-1993

At night, your neighbours, fed up with being woken up every morning by

what sounds like a washing machine full of house bricks, will sneak out and

urinate through your letter box. And rightly so.

At every traffic light you will have had all your fillings shaken loose

by the vibrations and you will not have been able to call your dentist either

because the constant wobbling will have broken your carphone.

Though in defense of diesel, the new Euro 6 emission limit slowly coming into effect from now, will reduce NOx levels to those of petrol cars but at the expense of even more emission control equipment strapped to the belly of the car. That will only add to the cost and to the unreliability of lesser cars like Citroen and Fiat.

Diesel has a use; in trucks, trains and tractors. (and maybe larger SUVs or towing vehicles). Of course, Germany runs Europe and Germany invented diesel and holds it as dear to it's heart as the UK does steam trains and America gas guzzlers. So more noisy, clattery nonsense for years to come I fear.

• Like 1

Thanking you all for your support in my repentance,I have now rid the burden of the devils personal friend(DPF)and will continue to follow the path of righteousness.

Amen!

I have always loved the torque of a diesel, but as many will know I have also had my fair share of Hybrid's too. When you consider the comfort of a Hybrid, with automatic transmission, the MPG is fantastic. I have recently had a couple of 1.4 diesels, a pair of Auris in fact. A Tourer and a 5 door, I have to say they have been superb, 58 to 60 MPG and a good amount of torque from the 1.4 diesel engine. Earlier in the week, my 5 door was sold and I have a 1.6 petrol which I shall do my best to get out of at the first chance, 40 MPG is not for me :eek:

Back on track though, Auris Hybrid, great choice :thumbsup:

a pair of Auris in fact.

Have Toyota announced what the plural of Auris is yet?

Is it Aurii?

Yes Clarkson preaches the gospel well,the only thing I will miss is the tourque that diesels have but not the fire and brimstone it breathes.When I first had the urban cruiser I was unaware of the downfall a diesel causes when you only do low mileage.I am pleased with my Auris hybrid and I am glad that the urban cruiser has gone

Here's two Horace lets have another drink. Not a plural as such but I like this one.

Yep the emissions are my pet hate but there's also the racket they make. This little article from Clarkson in 1993 sums it up;...

Though in defense of diesel, the new Euro 6 emission limit slowly coming into effect from now, will reduce NOx levels to those of petrol cars but at the expense of even more emission control equipment strapped to the belly of the car. That will only add to the cost and to the unreliability of lesser cars like Citroen and Fiat.

... So more noisy, clattery nonsense for years to come I fear.

Clarkson certainly has a way with words. BTW I meant no disrespect to Robert, it's diesels I despise not people that buy them unaware of the harm they cause.

To be fair, since the article was written, some diesel engines have improved dramatically - I had two diesel hire cars in Ibiza (not by choice!) - a Vauxhall Meriva and Skoda Fabia - that were so smooth and quiet I checked the label on the fuel filler on the way to the hotel to be sure! (starting from cold next morning removed the doubt though)

If CAT6 is that good, then at least it's the most harmful feature taken care of, but does nothing for all the diesels on the road now.

Fully with you on noise too - I often site in my car at the sea front for a while to let the breeze and sound of waves de-stress me a bit, until some burke parks next to me and leaves his diesel engine running (could just about understand if they wanted their a/c on, but they usually have windows open!).

At least in London the Environmental Officers drive around in a fleet of Prius issuing £100 Penalty Notices to people who leave their engine running whilst parked. If I had my way, I'd fire a machine gun into their engine! :gun_bandana:

BTW I understand catalytic converters were pushed through by Germany and France (who coincidentally manufacture a lot of them) when a little more advancement of lean burn technology was expected to do better without the cost and mpg penalty.

a pair of Auris in fact.

Have Toyota announced what the plural of Auris is yet?

Is it Aurii?

The plural of Auris is Auris.

Same as other models like Yaris, and Avensis.

• Like 1

Or Aurisisisisises :nerd:

Seeing as we've all gone way off topic I thought I'd ask if anyone knows the collective noun for taxi drivers?

A whinge of cabbies :)

Or alternatively A moan of cabbies.

If you've ever sat near a taxi rank for 10 minutes you'll understand :ermm:

and, indeed, Prius!

There was a poll on another Prius group some time ago and the overwhelming winner was Prius for singular and plural.

Yep the emissions are my pet hate but there's also the racket they make. This little article from Clarkson in 1993 sums it up;

http://www.topgear.com/uk/jeremy-clarkson/clarkson-diesel-11-1993

At night, your neighbours, fed up with being woken up every morning by

what sounds like a washing machine full of house bricks, will sneak out and

urinate through your letter box. And rightly so.

At every traffic light you will have had all your fillings shaken loose

by the vibrations and you will not have been able to call your dentist either

because the constant wobbling will have broken your carphone.

Diesel has a use; in trucks, trains and tractors. (and maybe larger SUVs or towing vehicles). Of course, Germany runs Europe and Germany invented diesel and holds it as dear to it's heart as the UK does steam trains and America gas guzzlers. So more noisy, clattery nonsense for years to come I fear.

Citroen maybe, but Fiat are leaders in the development of Diesel tech with their FTP (Fiat Power Terrain) lumps often being fitted to a lot of other manufactures cars!

Citroen and anything French though and I agree, issues in the making (unless they've fitted and FTP lump, and then it'll outlive everything else).

and, indeed, Prius!

There was a poll on another Prius group some time ago and the overwhelming winner was Prius for singular and plural.

Although it is Toyota USA, and the US isn't the best in getting English correct (as in the Queen's English), they ran a poll amongst their customers back in 2011 - and the outcome for the Prius model was Prii, which then led to an announcement:

http://toyotanews.pressroom.toyota.com/releases/toyota-announces-the-plural-of-prius.htm

• Like 1

Toyota did officially announce the plural of Prius...

http://toyotanews.pressroom.toyota.com/releases/toyota-announces-the-plural-of-prius.htm

Edit: Just noticed Frostyballs's post.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links