Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Topping Up Atf, Immobiliser - Please Help!

Richard Butterworth

Hello - forgive the rather elementary questions relating to a 2003 HiLux Surf 3litre auto turbo diesel...

First, I need to top-up the ATF. But my manual is fairly useless - little more than a collection of photocopies with very indistinct thumbnail drawings - and it does not show the location of the ATF filler cap.

Second, I'm having ignition problems which I think are related to the immobiliser fob on the keyring. When I try to start the ignition, there's nothing but a click, as if the Battery were completely flat. But then after two or three tries the engine turns over and fires more or less immediately.

Third - 4-wheel drive. I've not needed the 4x4 in the four years I've had the car. But I think a switch has possibly inadvertently engaged the FWD and I can't get out of it to return it to TWD. Again, the manual, which was translated from the Japanese, is pretty impossible to fathom.

If anyone has any ideas about the above, I'd be really grateful - and again, apologies if these queries have fairly obvious answers (which is what I'm hoping).

Many thanks in anticipation, Richard

• 2 weeks later...

giday mate,

1. I do not know about your surf but my 94 has to be filled through the hole that the dipstick uses(there is no filler cap).

2. simple fix, remove the imobiliser or replace it, they are a pain in the butt at the best of times.

3. Once in 4WD you depress the 4WD button, try reversing. if this does not work then ???? when moving it in or out or 4WD you should do so on a surface that shifts DO NOT DO IT ON SEALED ROAD. failing this return the button to 2WD position, place in nuetral shift into 4L move forward, move back to 2H. if light does not go out then????

Are you definately in 4H? or could your dash be playing tricks? is the light solid or flashing??if flashing it may not be your 4WD function it could be a toyota fault code, the flashes actually correspond to a fault. If dash, use computer reset. that is the really small button next to speedo, you access it by removing the little rubber gromit on the clear plastice part of dash display. remove gromit, use food skewer to depress little button for about 20 seconds, see if light goes out. failing all of this visit your local friendly toyota agent.

Hi Ian, much obliged. The ATF remains an imponderable; I'm reluctant to try your kind suggestion of using the dipstick hole in case it all varies from model to model (anyone else have any ideas?).

The immobiliser business I think is actually the starter motor, whereby all I get from turning the key is a dead click. This happens several times before the engine eventually fires. Having asked around - it seems to be a common problem - I get the impression it's down to worn contacts on the starter motor, which can be fixed with a SM repair kit.(although it's apparently quite a fiddly operation).

The 4x4 is now resolved - I tried the reversing trick and got the 2WD reset, so no problem ultimately.

Many thanks again for coming back to me, anyway.

Cheers, Richard

Using the dipstick tube to top up ATF isn't uncommon. Just be sure to let the level settle between "dips". You're probably aware but with some auto boxes you dip with the engine warm and running.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links