Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rattling Noise - Any Ideas?

Kyyria_6

I have an 09 plate Yaris that has done just over 53k. This morning I started hearing a noise - sounded like what can only be described as an empty can rattling around. Worse when car was idling/higher revs. Sounded awful on a traffic jam this morning - genuinely thought it was a pneumatic drill outside, opened windows to check and it was definitely car. At higher speeds/lower revs it doesn't sound as bad.

Can't pinpoint exactly but sounds like towards rear of car so presuming exhaust. Exhaust is still attached. Have got it booked in at garage on Monday but hoping it will get me home OK. Any ideas? Only bought it 4 months ago from approved Toyota dealer and this is the 3rd thing that has gone wrong!

Either baffles gone, catalytic convertor breaking up inside, loose heat shield?

My money's on a loose heat shield on the back box or its rubber mounting.

You say it's the 3rd thing to go wrong, out of interest what were the other two?

I've had the same thing on a Mercedes i owned, my local garage said it will be the cat even before i got there and they were right, the cone inside it rattles loose.

Mike.

^^^ ...But his car has only covered 53K!

But those 53k miles could have been 106000 half mile journeys which would have done the car no good at all...

Had an engine sensor needed replacing in June, and the other was negligible (a slow puncture that must have been present on purchase that resulted in a flat 2 days later). Current problem must be something exhaust related (or something around the exhaust) as it's definitely something that is rattling more depending on the resonance of the engine. Sounds !Removed! awful!

It had done 51.5k when purchased. Strangely for a Toyota dealership they had no service history to pass on... I currently use it for commuting - 2x 20mile trips per day.

Noise definitely louder within the car and definitely from middle to rear of car.

The catalyst is at the front of the exhaust system.. next to your feet..

Rear exhaust is suspended on rubber hangers which could have broken.. ,

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links