Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chirping Noise

Julie84

Hi for past couple days iv had a chirping noise coming from engine area. The belt was replaced in December so I was told I got the belt tightened but still keeps doing it. Can anyone shed any light as to what it could be thanks

Bird nest in the airbox!

or, more likely...

A worn belt or bearings on one of the pulleys or a pump. Since the belt has recently been tightened, maybe it's damaged. Could be one of any number of things to be honest. Does the frequency of the 'chirps' increase with engine speed? Does it happen with the car stationary or when it's moving, or both?

There's no point running around changing things at random, need to find out exactly what's causing it so the dodgy part can be repaired or replaced. That'll mean lifting the bonnet and trying to locate the exact source of the noise. Since you can only do that with the engine running, make sure you're not wearing loose clothing or allowing long hair to dangle...that could get messy!

Hi thanks for replying it happens when driving and when stopped. When I puty foot on break it gets quieter. Can't really hear if it gets louder when driving faster as my exhaust a wee bit loud.

Hi,

Agree with Korat could be several causes, belt problems or water pump / alternator bearings etc.

Does it make a different sound when in gear, clutch in or in neutral, could possibly be the clutch thrust bearing.

Might be better taking it to a garage and let them check it out, making a mistake while that belt is moving can be more than very messy !! :death:

No still same noise no diffrent

Hi,

Did you fit the new belt yourself ?

Did you re tighten it ?

No it was the guy that I got the car off he is a mechanic and works in a garage. Plus he tightened it yesterday plus sprayed it with something but still no joy. It's coming from the drivers side in the engine area

Hi,

Well would think he tightened it properly (?)

The spray could have been a Belt Dressing or some lubricant onto the bearings of the alternator etc - hard to say.

Cannot suggest anything else you can do.

You really need to take it to one or two garages / drive in places who should be able to look at it an give an opinion as to whats wrong; most should do that for free but check first.

Assume you will then be able to go back to the seller and ask him to put it right, though have to say, assuming its a private sale, he does not have to do that in law, its buyer beware for such private sales.

Spraying a belt is treating the symptom not the cause. I think the Corolla has a serpentine belt, so spraying it is not a good idea anyway. Belts shouldn't squeal unless they're worn out, misaligned, poorly tensioned or sitting on dirty pulleys (or the wrong belt...needs to be the right cross section for the pulleys).

If the belt is ok then the fault must be on one of the associated pulleys. It'll be necessary to use a stethoscope on each part to find it, or to remove the belt and turn each part by hand to see which one produces the squeal. If that sounds like too much work then you need to get it to a garage to sort out. These things very rarely improve by themselves and can be a good warning sign of potential future problems.

Yeah will do that. He assured me the car wanted for nothing as he spent a fortune on it have me £500 plus In Receipts granted he never gave me all he said he would. He even said too me anything that's needing done too car give him a shout

Il take it to a garage as iv no clue what am doin lol. Would a pulley be dear too replace?

Well, it's not just the pulley - unless its worn. It's more what it's connected to. If the car needs a new pump or alternator then that'll push the cost up a bit more than just replacing a belt. Those are not rare failures though so any garage should be able to do it pretty quickly. These are bread and butter jobs for garages, the labour charges will probably be greater than the cost of the parts needed.

Get a couple of garages/mechanics to take a look and make sure that they both tell you the same thing...then choose one to fix it. Some places have a change-bits-till-the-noise-stops method and, since it's done at the customers expense, you'll want to avoid those.

Iv got a video of the noise how do I upload it

Hi,

Never tried to upload a video so not sure, try going to Advanced reply Options; but to be honest even if we heard it how could we tell exactly whats causing it ? :dontgetit:

It really needs a personal inspection, so still suggest you go round to a couple of other local garages for an opinion. Ask some family / friends if they can recommend any garages they were pleased with.

Assume your seller / mechanic did not give any verbal or written guarantee ?

Can you not go back to him and say its still making that noise ?

Out of interest, can I ask how much you paid for the 15 year old car ?

I did go to him he tightened the belt and sprayed it with something. He slipped up after me having it after 2 days it was making that noise on and off for 3 to 4 months. I said why not say that on ur ad. He said I thought it was just the fan belt. Don't get me wrong he was really nice but something just doesn't click as he stated the car wanted for nothing just the body work that was a bit shabby. That he spent a but in it.

Hi,

Well if the problem really is associated with the fan belt / driven parts then as this vid shows ( if its the exact same model as yours?) the belt is self adjusting because it uses an automatic tensioner.

As you can see from the vid its actually quiet easy and quick for a decent mechanic to change the belt.

It also shows a clear diagram of all the parts the belt drives, water pump, steering pump, alternator and air con ( if fitted) plus an idler pulley.

If the belt and auto tensioner are proven ok then as you can see it really needs some more hands on work to establish which part/s is faulty.

As for cost, impossible to say until you locate the source of the problem.

You need to find a decent garage ..... :doctor:

Is there a Toyota dealer near you...they should locate the fault for you, but will probably charge you for the diagnoisis labour time.

Local friendly garages more likely to do it for free on the chance they will get the repair work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrkkG2-j_ZM

Chirping is usually the auxiliary belt (Apparently this is also called the serpentine, ancillary or fan belt!), esp. if it mainly happens on cold or wet days but goes away or lessens when the car has warmed up some.

Steps usually start at tightening the belt, and if that doesn't work, replacing the belt. A common misstep is to not clean the pulleys and stuff when changing the belt - All the crap and debris that builds up on them makes the new belt slip and make the same noises.

Ok thanks for all info am going to take it to garage and get it looked at. Hopefully nothing to bad