Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T22 Ac Compressor Noise At Exact Rpm

Ave I FIN

My AC compressor is making noise exactly at 1100 rpm. Not above, not below. This happens both in idle and in gear. Turning AC off makes the sound go away. Guys at the repair shop said that the sound is coming from the compressor but it is blowing cold air. They didn't seem be to worried about it.

What happens in AC at 1100 rpm? I suppose bearing and clutch noises would have wider rpm range.

Your compressed file could not be opened on my PC.

Now I can only guess from what you have described, it could be the bearings of the compressor. The only way to confirm this is to remove the belt and spin the compressor spindle by hand, to feel any roughness. It seems that there is resonance at 1100 rpm and the bearings could be the cause.

This is only a guess.

Thanks for replying. I seem to get different amount of bytes back when downloading the file.

Anyway, I would describe the sound as howling.

This is my compressor:

http://www.partsbase.org/toyota/avensis-zzt221l-aemnkw-1-8l-16-valve-dohc-efi-mtm-1997-2003-eu-4-heating-air-conditioning-compressor/

It does not seem to have any bearings that could be replaced. I'll try to spin it by hand.

AC, alternator, water pump and belt tensioner pulleys seem to rotate fine by hand. All of these a driven by one belt.

I don't know if this related but the little shock absorber connected to the tensioner pulley arm has a small oil leak. Also the power steering pump sometimes makes a small sound when turning the steering wheel in parking lots.

I would change the tensioner. The power steering always makes a little noise, unless the belt is slipping due to the tensioner.

If somebody else has managed to open the file and hear the sound, they may have an idea to what may be causing the noise.

Here is the sound now uploaded to YouTube:

I have heard the sound but it is not conclusive. It is had to tell where the humming is coming from.

You need to make a long detailed video. If you video with the air-con off, then vary the engine revs. Next record with the air-con on and rev on and above the point the noise occurs. Finally record outside with the bonnet up, close to the engine. You may need an assistance if you need to operate the throttle accurately.

You and 2 other members have unusual sounds coming from the engine, and it is hard to pinpoint the location to give any possible answers.

The following links are from similar issues you may have already seen:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/161957-2002-toyota-avensis-vvti-18-noise-t22/

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/161835-what-is-this-noise-see-attached-video/

The common thing is that you all have 1.8 vvti engines with the serpentine belt! Is the tensioner weak causing the belt to slip or whip.

Some cars compressor bearings can be replaced.

Also you can get a shorter belt to bypass the air-con compressor (if the compressor totally failed), but yours is working.

Do the tests and video then hopefully you may get the answer.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links