Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1982 Coaster Camper 2B Diesel. Slow To Start - Runs 3 Seconds - Then D

markbolton

1982 Coaster Camper 2B Diesel. Slow to start - runs 3 seconds - then dies.1982 Coaster Camper 2B Diesel. Slow to start - runs 3 seconds - then dies.

I just found a coy of the manual but it has no trouble shooting section. The bus has done about 300,000 km then sat in a garage for 8 years. I filled the 1/2 tank of stale diesel with fresh diesel but didn't drain the old deisel out. I replaced the radiator and thermostat housing and it has run for about 2 hours starting smartly and running well at all revs. I let it sit about 3 days now this fault has appeared. It cranks at normal revs - starter is good - but it takes 10 - 15 seconds to fire runs for about 2 seconds then quite decively cuts out. This sequence is repatable - I have done it 4 times in a row and no variation on the above. OAT about 15 - 20 C. I imagine it is some kind of fuel flow issue. Where should I start my troubleshoot? It is likely the fuel supply is blocked ? The bleed pump seems to be producing a flow of fuel that gushes out of the assembly ? Is this correct?

Backing up what Raistlin said is it possible for you to rig up a 5 litre plastic fuel can with clean diesel with it feeding the inlet side of the fuel pump. Try bleeding some of the clean fuel through and try and see if it runs properly.

Mike

I did what Mike 169 suggested I went directly into the injector - bypassed everything - The gravity feed head was about 4 feet. I have done that before on ATVs in the bush and run them for days on gravity feed. - The fuel pressure would be sufficient I would have thought. The manual says fuel pressure 25 psi min but that might just be to prove the integrity of the pump.

Symptoms the same. I persisted for some time . It got quicker to fire but lost power within seconds. It blows a heap of white smoke. It has done that since I got it and normally it goes completely clean in about 15 seconds of running. I believe that is due to leaky seals on the push rods. When stale fuel causes problems is it normal to be able to run fine for about 2.5 hours only to have tha vehicle do this after sitting for a few days ? I would have though the injectors would gradually block up during running. What would the next step be in trouble shooting?

Does your vehicle have an OBD2 socket to plug a fault reading code device into that can be bought online from Amazon or similar for around £20?

You need to feed the fuel into the injector pump, (the injectors require very high pressure to operate)

I would also check for perished air hose's