Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Is This Noise? See Attached Video

waqar_lionheart

Hi All,

I have a massive pinging problem with my car which I havent been able to solve yet. I have explored many avenues to no avail but I am slowly ruling out things. I have done a test to ensure i havent got burnt exhaust valves etc. I have oil leaking from several places from my engine. But recently had a really bad bout of pinking and then developed this noise. I would really appreciate if you can help me identify it. It seems to be coming from the drive/serpentine belt area of the engine. I appreciate all the input. you can view this video at http://youtu.be/5x6DTPf0bzA

Regards,

Waqar

Probably best to remove and or swap the belt - check for play on all of the pulley wheels. The tensioner may be worn. How much slack is there in the belt?

• Like 1

Not a lot of slack in the belt. It seems in good shape. I havent yet checked the pulleys by taking off the belt. At this point i am so tired of this pinging if am beginning to wonder whether Its pinking at all. Could it be my exhaust manifold. i have heard these make similar noises. I am going to try and post a video of what i think is pinking and then members can tell me if its pinking at all.

Regards,

Waqar

You could try running it (briefly) without the belt to see if the noise is still there.

• Like 1

I agree with Gazza. Check the crank pulley. If it wearing, turn the steering wheel to see if the load makes it worse. Try the air-con to see if that makes a difference. As said before, remove belt and check all pulleys for play and roughness.

Is the exhaust manifold okay, gasket leaks?

The worst scenario are the oil pump, or vvti unit.

Waqar, I have listened again, have you lifted the cam cover? Also where it is safe to do so, hold any of the static components to see is if something is loose.

Lets hope it is nothing serious.

• 4 weeks later...

We looked at this issue as well and found that from driver side if i disconnect injector one, the ticking noise is reduced quite a bit, but if i put that on and disconnect number 2, it completely disappears. Injectors one and two from driver side both had fuel in injector power supply which might have causing arching as well as might have shorted my efi fuse.

I have paid a breaker for four injectors, lets wait and see now.

Regards,

waqar

• Like 1

Since I was there in person, I could hear problem much better than the video Waqar posted. On top of that, those injectors are leaking.

Hopefully this will clear up some of the engine issues.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links