Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2003 D4D Turbo Removal

ejabrod

Hi everyone....new on here (have been reading fro a number of months but posting for the 1st time)

I am looking for a comprehensive guide on the removal of a turbo from the Avensis.

I have WSM section 13 (intake) but not 100% confident on doing it from there. Does anyone have a link to an end-to-end video (or some similar resource?)

Any guidance from you guys is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Thanks for the reply.

I have seen these and, while they are good, it goes from the turbo being in place to being...well gone! :)

I'm sure I will be able to follow the WSM but just a bit nervous.

Does anyone know if I have to replace all the pipes, filters and do an oil change also?

Thanks

It would be best to do an oil change, and make sure you prime the turbo bearing with fresh oil also,

If there was anyway on running the engine with an oil additive for cleaning the engine i would do that first.

From a hazy memory, i think you may have to drop the engine a bit to remove the turbo.

Thanks for that, yeah, the WSM says to lubricate with 20cm³ of oil (1.2 cu in) and to turn the turbine wheel by hand to spread oil to the bearing.

Yeah I will get an oil addative (any recommendations?)

In respect of dropping the engine ( :no: ) please no! Can anyone else confirm this please?

• 2 months later...

As a follow up to this thread. The turbo replacement resolved the power issue and the old turbo was well and truly fúcked

With regards to the job of removing the old turbo, it was one pig of a job.

IMO the removal requires a level of competence above that of a novice mechanic

Care to elaborate? I do like reading about peoples exploits when doing jobs like this - They're always very informative! :)

What was up with the old turbo; Was the bearing just worn or was it actually leaking (Or missing vanes?! :eek:)

Did you have to lift the engine in the end or were you able to get away with just undoing one of the mounts to shift it?

?What sort of mileage had the car done mate.

175,000 miles

• 4 weeks later...

As a follow up to this thread. The turbo replacement resolved the power issue and the old turbo was well and truly fúcked

With regards to the job of removing the old turbo, it was one pig of a job.

IMO the removal requires a level of competence above that of a novice mechanic

Great to hear you got it sorted.

Facing into the same job myself and would appreciate any tips or recommendations you have.

Maybe a short guide on what your process?

Thanks

Hey Surfco,

Not knowing what level of competence you have, it's hard to advise you.

I found it difficult to remove a few of the bolts and also found it difficult to get some of the heat shields out aswell.

I will try do a better write up when I get home

Thanks for replying Eja,

came across this thread as I was looking for info/tips on how best to get to the turbo and remove it

I would say I'm reasonably competent, I try to do most of the servicing and parts replacement I can on my cars.

I made a start this morning from top side, eventually got the top 2 exhaust bolts out and heat shield but the rest is buried down the back!

trying to get some help before I crawl under for hours of swearing and skinned knuckles! :-)

Yeah, that's what I had.

From the front of the bay, to the left of the turbo, there are 2 bolts which hold a retaining bracket....these are a nightmare to remove. I ended up having a mechanic friend help me remove them (he used (I think) two rotatable extentions to the ratchet to access and remove them.

Once them two are off the cat needs to be seperated which isn't too bad.

To remove the turbo itself, it's not too had, a bit fiddly. I opted to remove the Battery, fuel filter etc.

It's a very fiddly job.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links