Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Light Adjustment Switch

square1

Hi, I'm just looking for clarification on when I should use the little switch just to the right of the steering wheel. I believe this controls the degree of dip to balance the effect of loading the car with passengers/luggage. I know it's in the manual but need some clarification on what setting to use when and whether I even need to bother! Thanks.

It all depends on the weight in the rear, for normal use with one driver and passenger setting 0 is fine.

More passengers or weight then adjust till the headlight spread covers the road without blinding oncoming traffic.

See:

Driver only or Driver + one passenger in the front seat. 0
All passengers. 1
All passengers and Full luggage loaded in the boot. 2
Driver, rear seats folded forwards and Full−luggage in the boot/over rear seats. 3
The point about having height adjustable headlights is that one can adjust them according to load to avoid dazzling oncoming drivers.

See:

Driver only or Driver + one passenger in the front seat. 0
All passengers. 1
All passengers and Full luggage loaded in the boot. 2
Driver, rear seats folded forwards and Full−luggage in the boot/over rear seats. 3
The point about having height adjustable headlights is that one can adjust them according to load to avoid dazzling oncoming drivers.

Thanks for this, it's a bit clearer than in the manual. For me, 1 & 2 would be extremely rare. 3 is the interesting one, as I do sometimes fold down the rear seats in order to carry stuff, although not necessarily heavy loads, perhaps a push bike and a few other small items. Would this necessitate changing the setting to 3 or is it more to do with weighty items?

As a general rule, if my headlights are lighting up the number plate of the car in front (at a reasonable distance), I consider them too high. They don't need to be high in built up areas with street lighting. I tend to put them up a notch (a lower number on the switch for some odd reason!) on unlit roads where full beam isn't justified but then drop them again if someone gets in front. There's nothing worse than being stuck in front of a car lighting up your mirrors. The adjustment is there to allow you to compensate for varying loads in the back which have the effect of tilting the car.

On the other hand, as supplied, My Verso didn't even light up two cats eyes...I had to make a small adjustment on the headlamp units themselves before the lights were remotely useful.

Its all to do with how much the rear of the car is affected by a load - ie how much the rear suspension gets compressed, which affects the aim of the headlights. I would have thought that 1 would be sufficient for yourself and carrying a bike plus associated stuff in the rear.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links