Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Window Tinting In The Uk

av3nsis

I ‘am searching for some more information about window tinting in the United Kingdom for my 1999 Toyota Avensis.

I have visited some websites from professional window tinting companies in the United Kingdom, but as foreigner I ‘am getting a little stuck in the law. Some companies say that I can tint all windows (exclusive the windshield), some other says that it depends on the age of my car and some others say that I can tint the windows, but it depends on the age of the car what the visibility should be.

Does somebody here knows the rules and regulation and maybe also a cheap provider in Manchester Area?

Thanks!

Car Window Tinting Laws

When window tint is installed to the glazing of a vehicle it reduces the amount of visible light, how much depends on the darkness of the tint. Car window tint is graded in a % VLT (Visible Light Transmittance - the amount of light the film allows to pass through). Some companies grade the film as how much light the film blocks so 20% VLT could be that it allows 20% of light to pass through, however with another company if could allow 80% of light to pass through as the 20% is the amount of light it blocks, this confuses things and you should always check before installing film. In this article all percentages refer to the visible light transmittance (VLT).

Authorities in many countries and states have laws as to how dark you can tint your windows. This is because if the windows are tinted too dark you may not be able to see hazards clearly, especially at night, and also police may not be able to identify individuals inside a vehicle. In this article we have tried to compile a list of the laws in varying countries and states, you should use this as a guide only and should check with your local authority before installing window tints to your vehicle.

Important

Front windows = the front windows forward of the B-pillar not including the front windscreen (not including sunroofs)

Rear windows = all the windows behind the front seats (not including sun roofs)

Window Tint Laws in UK

In the UK, regulations set by the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency under the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 require that all front windows (in front of the B post) can have no less than 70% VLT. Windscreens are only allowed tinting outside the sweep of the windscreen wipers to a maximum of six inches from the top of the windscreen. British police are increasingly cracking down on illegally tinted vehicles and many now carry tint meters to check the VLT. There are no regulations on the level of tint you can have on the rear windows (all windows behind the B post) so you can put any tint on these windows including completely blacking them out

http://www.windowtintingmanchester.com/

http://window-tinting-manchester.co.uk/

Last I heard, the Police were issuing removal tickets to anyone found with more than a 17% level of tinting on the front door windows or windscreen.

I got some nice quotes around 120 GBP as we speak and a provider hooked me up with the official law... Guess the '99 Avensis will be tinted soon :driving:

Tinted vehicle windows: the law

The Driving Standards Agency (DSA) and Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) have merged to form the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).

The rules for tinted front windscreens and front side windows depend on when the vehicle was first used. There are no rules for tinting the rear windscreen or rear passenger windows.

Vehicles first used on 1 April 1985 or later

The front windscreen must let at least 75% of light through and the front side windows must let at least 70% of light through.

Vehicles first used before 1 April 1985

The front windscreen and front side windows must both let at least 70% of light through.

Penalties for having wrongly tinted windows

It’s illegal to fit or sell glass (or a vehicle already fitted with glass) that breaks the rules on tinted windows.

The police or DVSA vehicle examiners use light measuring equipment to measure window tint.

If your windscreen or front side windows are tinted too much you could get:

##a ‘prohibition notice’ stopping you using your vehicle on the road until you have the extra tint removed

##a penalty notice or court summons

Tinted windows are not part of the MOT test.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links