Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Removing Front Seats From 2013 Auris 1.6 Icon

TomdeGuerre

I want to remove the front seats from my Auris so I can use an aerosol can to clean out the air conditioning. I want to give the aerosol as clear a path as possible to work with the re-circulated air.

I want to disconnect the seat belt electrical loom plugs underneath before I remove the seats then run the engine for 10 - 15 minutes with the air-con turned on. I'm wondering if I'll have any trouble with seat belt warning lights staying on in the instrument panel when I refit the seats and the electrical loom plugs. The seats are manual adjustment for travel and height and are only held in by four bolts each so don't think it would be too difficult.

Anyone had experience with this before?

Hello Tom - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Surely the air conditioning cleaner aerosols are designed to be simple to operate without going to the hassle and potential problems of removing and re-installing seats or similar.

I'm surprised you need to use a cleaner on a 2013 car - do you not use the air con regularly throughout the year to prevent air con issues developing?

You could always leave the seats I place, but recline them fully to give the air flow a straighter run.

Thanks for the reply Frosty and, yes, the aerosols are designed to be simple but I've found from experience that a lot of the cleaning stuff tends to get absorbed in the furnishings, I also want to give the seats a dry clean out of the car. It's no hassle to remove the seats, I really only want to find out if I'm inviting trouble with warning lights. Don't want to go to the dealers and have them sort it out later.

CMCLEAN, the instructions on the tin actually say to push the seat back forward as far as possible but as I said in my reply to Frosty I've had experience with these things before and I believe it'll work a whole lot better with as uninterrupted a path as possible,

If you're worried put the can in the passenger's footwell. Then it will kill all the nasty bacteria in the system.

I appreciate the comments and suggestions guys but Raistlin, re placing the aerosol in the front footwell, the instructions on the can say specifically to place it in the rear footwell. I'm no expert but maybe they have reason(s) to place it there, maybe something to do with proper atomising of the biocide agent and mixing with the recirculated air rather than concentrating the spray in the cabin - or pollen - filter area. Naturally I intend to remove the filter before I begin the whole process and fit a new filter (already purchased) once finished.

Tavy, your comment about covering the seats with a blanket makes sense and I'll probably do that with the rear seats but for reasons already stated I'd like to remove the front seats.

Having done a search, there doesn't appear to be any earlier topic on this in the Auris club, and in other clubs, any topics that show up are relatively quite old.

Glad to have you saying that Frosty, I tried a search before I posted and couldn't come up with anything but put it down to being a newbie and maybe not knowing all the tricks of the forum.

You could consider registering with http://www.toyota-tech.eu

Seat removal is probably covered there - just be aware that some information is free, some is chargeable.

Just an update guys, went ahead and did the job today and guess what - no problems! I only removed the passengers seat mind you, left the drivers one in situ.

What I did first was to isolate the passengers side airbag using the ignition key. I then removed the four off 14mm bolts holding the seat to the floor which allowed me to tip the seat up and access the electrical loom plugs underneath. There's two quick-disconnect plugs and one non-break loom joint which simply snaps out of the seat frame. I then lifted the seat straight out.

Followed the manufacturers instructions for the air-con cleaner and left the car running on re-circulation mode for 10 to 15 minutes. Let the car sit for about another 10 minutes or so then took it out for a run. Air con was working fine but noticed the airbag warning light was on in the dash. Got back home, re-fitted the seat and the electrical plugs, turned the airbag back on with the ignition key then started the car up and - voila - no problems. Took the car for another run and running OK, air conditioning smells sweet as a summer's day.

Long story short: You can disconnect and remove the passengers seat on my model of Auris and refit it without having any warning lights on the dash.

Thanks to all who responded.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links