Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo Coolant Reservoir Always Empty?

jameshendry18

Afternoon All,

for the last few weeks ive noticed that the engine coolant reservoir is always empty, i.e. no liquid in it what so ever. i can fill it up and it will last a max of 24 hours. the engine doesnt seem to be over heating and there has been no performance issues, however i would like to nip it in the bud. i cannot seen any obvious leaks under the car.

Anyone experienced this problem before or know what the problem could be? if so i would really appreciate any advice.

look forward to hearing from anyone soon,

Regards,

James

ps. i have a Toyota Aygo "Blue" 2007 model (57 plate), 35k on the clock

That's a lot of coolant to lose in such a short time. Doubt that much could be drawn into the bores without it being pretty obvious when you drove it. That only really leaves an external leak. Look for staining around the hoses and the components they're connected to (including the radiator!). A hot engine or exhaust usually boils off any leaking fluid before you get a chance to notice it.

Do you have to drive the car to lose the coolant or does the level drop if it's just left idle for a few days?

I cant say i have left the car for enough time to notice if it does it without driving, however it holds it in over night if i dont drive it, so i would say it only does it when driving hence like you said no leaks are visible because of the warm components...

i will have a look under the car to see if i can spot any staining, however i havnt been using coolant just been using water for last few weeks now... think id be skint if i get flushing coolant through it ah... ill get back to you.

thanks for the quick reply

james.

It's not a good idea to use plain water for too long. The antifreeze isn't just there to prevent freezing in winter it also has additives that suppress corrosion of components. I'd top it up, start the engine, let it warm up a bit and then start looking for leaks, you probably won't see them without the engine running and the system pressurised. Sounds obvious but probably worth saying - be careful around running engines...no long dangling hair or loose clothing!

Phil,

Think i have caught the problem, i got the car up on my ramps in the garage and had a browse round with my trusty torch, couldn't see anything leaking with the engine on and system pressurised. Then i spotted on the down pipe that goes from the engine block to the bottom of the radiator... the earthing cable was right squashed up against in took a look behind that and there it was a hole, where the cable had been rubbing through the pipe and eventually warn the surface away -_-...

new part on order and pipe firmly taped up for now ahah!, im glad it was a simple fix and not the head gasket or water pump :P cheers for you help anyways

ps. no trouble with long hair over here number 1 short back and sides :P

regards,

James

Good find :) Hopefully that'll sort that one out.

• 1 year later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links