Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo Oil Consumption

AygoMad

Hi All,

I have a 2008 Chilli Red Aygo which has now got 56K on the clock and I have noticed that it is absolutely drinking oil, I first noticed it last month and have had to fill it up again this weekend.

I have had a look around and seen a lot of possible causes and they are all related to having smoke coming out of the exhaust due to the oil burning, however I do not have this, I also check most mornings to see if I have any oil sitting under the car and have seen none at all, I have even moved the car and then walked back and checked the spot and it is bone dry, I am not at a total loss of what might be causing this.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to check/possible causes?

Thanks,

Craig

A car looses oil for one of two reasons.

1 - leaking

2 - burning

Leaking:

With that much oil consumption, I would look for a puddle of oil under the car or in the engine compartment.

My crankcase ventilation system was plugged and I was pumping a lot of oil out the dip stick tube. Unplugged it and all is well. Could also have bad gaskets on the valve cover or around the intake manifold or head gasket.

Is your coolant showing signs of oil in it?

Oil leaking into the cooling system. Oil runs at about 60 psi, coolant is at about 15 psi. Liquid will flow from the high pressure to the low pressure. When you shut the engine off, then the higher pressure is the coolant and you may see your oil take on a light brown, milky color.

Burning:

You should be leaving a blue cloud of smoke out the exhaust as you drive. Have a friend follow you for a short distance to see if the cloud is there. Sometimes it's not too visible to the driver who's driving the car. Bad valve seals and/or piston rings are the usual causes on high mileage cars.

My aygo drinking oil, been having to top up more and more often since last year, it's at the point where 2 weeks ago I topped up with 2 litres and yesterday 950miles later was below minimum again and I've had to top up again with another 1.5l to take it half way between min/max - which puts the consumption at the maximum the manual says my car could guzzle.

My aygo is into high mileage territory just having passed 145K so wonder if this is the norm for the point the cars life. As with others have no oil showing on the ground, no obvious smoky exhaust gases, had the car jacked up yesterday, no oil showing up top, down below oil filter and oil plug are clean. Looked at the baffle plate, half I could see was clean, felt round the rest with no oil marks showing. I'm getting the same good mpg I normally get, I don't tank the accelerator - Bit of puzzle

post-58775-0-87569300-1407703723_thumb.j

• 3 months later...

Hi, my wife has 59 plate aygo multi mode gearbox model, that had a taste for the 0w20 oil I got from an online car parts retailer. She does like the high revs sometimes but no puddles of oil or blue smoke, I have driven behind her and was expecting blue smoke but none. When it had finished that off I got Mobil 1 0w20 for double the money but with amazing results. The level remains where it was when I last topped it up. Engine feels smoother and economy seems to be better but not quantified that, just going to the pump less often. Will be asking Toyota dealer to use that at next service rather than the 5w30 they used last time. Hope that helps.