Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Remove Drivers Seat And Jacking Question

mk1

Hi all

I have just purchased an IQ and really like it but I have a couple of questions you may be able to help me with if you could please. (I have searched but haven't really been confident with the results)

Where do you place the trolley jack when jacking the rear? In the manual I believe it says on the towing eye, is this right?

Also, I am wanting to make some alterations inside and I want to remove the front seats. Can I just unclip the airbag wires and unbolt the seats? Do I have to disconnect the Battery?

Thanks a lot

I can answer the seat question. When the clips are disconnected it is advisable to disconnect the Battery. Although you are disconnecting the airbag clips, it does put a short circuit across the airbag connector to stop any stray signals from mobile phones and other electromagnetic signals close by triggering the bag. Personally i have had the seats out about 4 times without disconnecting the Battery as well as the steering wheel air bag cover many times without a problem. But its Toyota's advise to disconnect when undertaking airbag work

David

• Like 1

Looking at the trolly jack question, the tie down transporter rings do seem to be ok for jacking to remove the wheels. I took my wheels off this weekend but used the scissor jack that came with it and it worked fine in case your not sure

David

• Like 1

To trolley jack the rear I use the underside of the coil spring mounting. It can be clearly seen from behind the car and a jack placed here will lift just the tyre of the ground, not lift the full travel of the suspension first before the tyre comes of the ground. I have used the Toyota supplied scissor jack under here too and it only takes a few turns of the handle to get the tyre off the floor.

For the front there is a huge bolt just behind the wheel line that can be seen from the sides of the car. This bolt holds the sub frame, engine mounting and suspension mounting frame and is a very sturdy bit of the car so jacking on it is fine. Unfortunately you do have to lift the car some way before the wheel comes off the floor but the head of the bolt sits nicely in the jacking cup of most trolley jacks so it can't slip.

Even better if you have two trolley jacks and put one each side which is what I do to get the front high enough to get underneath when I do an oil change..

Craig.

• Like 2

Thanks a lot for the reply's.

I will try remove the seats without disconnecting the Battery and see how it goes.

Is there no central jacking point at the back so I don't have to use 2 jacks to get the rear wheels off the ground?

Thanks a lot

No central point at the front or the rear that I would consider strong enough to lift the car so I always use two jacks or just work on one side at a time.

Craig.

Straight from the owners manual. As said above the 'Tie-Down' / 'Towing Rings' for the rear. The front has a central jack point, I have used quite a few times.

WP_20140811_002_zps5eee6ebf.jpg

• Like 2

Ahhh, Forgot about that front one... ;)

Reason I have never used it is my car is lowered and no trolley jack will fit under the front. Actually it's kind of hard getting the trolley jack under the sides too so I have some short lengths of timber I drive the car onto first before I jack it up.

I also have the rear skirt with an extended towing eye so wouldn't consider jacking on that now either. The extension is a flat plate about 2" long so quite flexible if loaded wrongly.

You can see the planks in this picture.

Craig.

post-116364-0-51126400-1407830994_thumb.

Yes I also have to drive it up on to two little ramps to get the trolley jack under the front. It is a pity they didn't put a central point at the rear though.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links