Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

A Note On The Iq Cruise Control From Rostra (Us And Possibly Europe/ja

Sensha

Preparatory to purchasing a new cruise unit from Rostra, I downloaded and read the online instructions and cautions concerning the unit. We had problem with our previous unit forcing the car into "limp home" mode.

The instruction sheet provided on line had a very emphasized note that a particular wire needed to be soldered, and not connected with some wire connector. The reason for this was that the suitcase connector allowed the connection to generate radiation that would somehow force the car into "limp home" mode.

I checked our previous unit, noting that every wire connection had been made with a 3M "suitcase" connector, and none had been soldered. That may or may not have been the source of our problem, but it was not done the way that Rostra had specified.

So, if you install one of these, make sure that you read, understand and heed the instructions. Dropping into "limp home" mode when you are a hundred miles from the nearest dealer is not a fun thing.

Forewarned is forearmed...

Hello,

I am using the Rostra cruise control for over 6 months, and I am extremely happy with it : it is perfectly working, and I am using it every day.

I always solder the wires of all my gadgets, as I think that is the only way to obtain a long term reliability.

Connectors are OK whenever the current is relatively high. But this is not the case of electronic devices...

Yeah, I agree. However, I wasn't able to make the install on ours (too old, too tall, too weak physically), so I had to use an installer.

(I used to rebuild engines on cars, and change out power packs and suspensions on tanks and armored personnel carriers, but those days are long over.)

Likely as not, he paid attention to the wiring diagram but not to the warning. As others have also had this problem, and as Rostra has a very strict warning against going the connector route, it won't hurt to remind the next guy who puts our new one in that wire ## HAS to be soldered, and to check once it's done.

Soldering and heatshrink are the only way to go at low current. Connectors tarnish causing high resistance. High current "burns" through this. Also some connectors male, female look the same material but are not and oxidisation occurs causing high resistance. I once measured what looked like a perfectly good spade connection and it was 868 ohms. Not til i pulled it apart and pushed it together again did it come good.

David

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links