Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Speedometer And Fuel Guage Failure

600rob

The speedo an fuel gauge has suddenly stopped working on my 2002 yaris leaving me in a state where I have nothing to tell me how much fuel I have left, how fast I'm going and how many revs I'm doing!

This area of the display has just gone completely black.

The area at each sides where the indicators, ecu light headlight symbols are still work but the main display has stopped displaying all together.

I've taken the speedo out checked then connections and plugs ,checked the fuses, checked the earth strap from the Battery and still can't see any obvious signs of failure.

I also dismantled the display to check the circuit board for signs of failure/damage and can't find anything.

All of this leads to my two questions.

Does anyone know any thing or anywhere else I should check or any other areas that I can look in order to try and trouble shoot this problem?

2. If I replace the speedo unit with a known working one off eBay. assuming the replacement works, does any one know if the odometer reading will display my vehicles actual mileage correctly.

(I don't know if the display unit stores the mileage reading and does not update if connected to a different vehicle or if that data is provided by the ecu and will update to display the correct mileage when connected.

Hope that makes sense

Cheers

Rob

I believe the ECU stores all the data so a new one should be OK.

Did you check ALL the fuses?

The ones in the passenger compartment?

Symptoms suggest it's a fuse..

Thanks for the reply

So far I only checked the 10 amp fuse located in the top right hand corner of the passenger fuse box....

The fuse was intact.

However I didn't check any of the others. I will have a thorough check as I may have looked at the wrong fuse.

Hang on... you said passenger compartment....

I checked the fuse in tge fuse box located on tge drivers side.

Is there another fuse box location on the passenger side that I don know about?

Checked all fuses and everything is intact.....looks like the display unit has just died.....l I can't think of anything else to try so I will give a replacement part a try as they are relatively cheap to come by as use parts.

If the old unit is dead fitting a second hand unit will not update to show your mileage it will display that of the donor car, a brand new unit will show 0000000.

If the old unit is dead fitting a second hand unit will not update to show your mileage it will display that of the donor car, a brand new unit will show 0000000.

Ahh okay thanks for that info.

Anyone know how I then go about getting the mileage adjusted to suit my vehicle?

That's if I can remember exactly how many miles Were on it before if died!

• 2 weeks later...

So here's how to fix this problem....

Go on holiday for 5 days come back, start up the car and the gauge should have fixed itself:)

This is what happened in my case.

I can only put it down to being a loose connection or wire somewhere. But at least I know the actual unit is not faulty.

Nice to have things working again but I hate it when that happens. When something's 'fixed' I like to know what the problem was :)

Nice to have things working again but I hate it when that happens. When something's 'fixed' I like to know what the problem was :)

Yep, me too. Very annoying not to have been able to find the root cause of this issue. However on this occasion I will opt for the if it ain't broke (for the time being!) don't fix it approach :)

So here's how to fix this problem....

Go on holiday for 5 days come back, start up the car and the gauge should have fixed itself:)

This is what happened in my case.

I can only put it down to being a loose connection or wire somewhere. But at least I know the actual unit is not faulty.

Maybe the Yaris just need a break as well :laughing: .

I hope it stays that way mate, good luck.

Pete.

• 9 months later...

Hi all.

Im bringing up an old thread from last year because my speedo display stopped displaying for a couple of weeks then unexplainiably strted working again.

Well, the problem is back, about a week ago the display has gone blank again... just like before. ive done all the usual checks and again cant find anything obvious.

Ive found a couple of threads on US forums where a few owners have had the exact same problem. One guy who managed to fixed it belived it to be the ribbon connecor on the display unit. ( see attached images)

20150609_205129.jpg

20150609_205207.jpg

The posts on the US forum sugested that replacing the ribbon connector solved the problem however i cant see this being a part you can buy from toyota. ( i though the speedo would come as a complete item)

Anyway, does anyone know ir the ribbon connector is a replaceable part that can be purchased and if so where would i be able to get the part number?

• 1 month later...

Just got a used speedo off eBay but it seems slightly different. Possibly from a jap built model. (Mines French) so it didn't work.

The ribbon connectors were slightly different so I wasn't able to,swap those around.

I'll keep updating the thread in case anyone else has some information or a solution to this problem( other than buying a complete new unit from toyota)

TBC........

• 3 years later...

This problem has just started on my gf's car today. Haven't drove it for about a week but it was fine the last time we did drive it.

I've checked the 10amp fuse for the gauge in the interior fuse box but it was fully intact. Took the speedometer out and checked the cables, unplugged and plugged them back in and checked the circuit board, no signs of damage though.

Did you manage to find a fix other than having to replace the entire unit?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2019 at 11:57 PM, Naefun said:

This problem has just started on my gf's car today. Haven't drove it for about a week but it was fine the last time we did drive it.

I've checked the 10amp fuse for the gauge in the interior fuse box but it was fully intact. Took the speedometer out and checked the cables, unplugged and plugged them back in and checked the circuit board, no signs of damage though.

Did you manage to find a fix other than having to replace the entire unit?

My car was a French model, bought a speedometer from eBay with the same part number, working fine now.. just need to set the mileage back to normal as it has been zeroed now from changing it.

• 5 months later...

I have the same problem with my Yaris 2004. It is made in France and imported used from U.K. to Cyprus. I tried 3 or 4 speedos here but they didn't work. What is the cost from eBay???

• 5 months later...

So pleased I found this forum!

Having the same issue with my 2004 yaris. The digital display keeps flickering or going on/off intermittently. Took it all apart to find the problem and it seems to be the ribbon control. If I hold down on certain parts of it the digital display comes on fully. Annoying that this can't be changed as the rest of the unit is fine. Now to find a replacement. 

I have aYaris 1.0 Model 2012. It's Instrumental cluster gauges aren't working for some time and work again for time, but after parking the car for roughly half an hour the problem comes back. All fuses are checked and working (under dashboard and under bonnet). Also that when it work again the odometer stay at 150606 km, but then change to190600km. Should I buy a new clust or it's something else? 

• 4 months later...

Having same problem . Got a second hand cluster and no joy . Any tips

I have a similar problem with my ODO display, it has reset itself to 0 and does't change and cannot view the trip values.

Screenshot 2020-08-29 at 09.19.32.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2020 at 9:20 AM, ekfpang said:

I have a similar problem with my ODO display, it has reset itself to 0 and does't change and cannot view the trip values.

Screenshot 2020-08-29 at 09.19.32.png

I went to my local Toyota dealer to have it checked, they told me I need a replacement Odo. Will take three weeks due to ordering the parts at a cost of £236 plus £156 diagnostic fee (50% if completing the works).

Also has a quote to replace the middle LCD clock panel at a cost of £899!!! Sod that.

I couldn’t even believe they charge £12 for a new service book. Dealers are a rip-off but have no choice since I know nothing about the vehicle internals.

• 2 weeks later...

experienced the same problem on and off. it also used to interfere with fuel supply system. mechanic found two wires that had "short circuited". was lucky coz next it would have short the computer.

On 9/22/2020 at 5:54 AM, metric agency said:

experienced the same problem on and off. it also used to interfere with fuel supply system. mechanic found two wires that had "short circuited". was lucky coz next it would have short the computer.

Any idea of the cause of the short circuit?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links