Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Clunk When Changing Gears

Grompix

I've recently started to hear a clunking sound when I release the clutch after changing gears in my 2010 Yaris D4D. It also happens when suddenly accelerating or decelerating. The clunking noise is not loud but definitely noticeable.

I'm wondering if it might be a worn universal joint on the driveshaft (if the Yaris has such a thing) but I don't think the car has covered enough mileage to cause that that to happen (it's just gone over 23,200 miles).

Anyone here have any experience of this and is it anything to worry about?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Have you also noticed a rather notchy gear linkage?

No, the gear-change is fine. Just the same as it always was. No notchiness (apart from slightly in 2nd gear - but both this and my last Yaris (1.33 Mk2) were the same in that respect).

Hi I have a 40K 2007 Yaris D-4D and mine does this.... a quiet but definite hollow knock often (but not every time) I change gear and sometimes when accelerating or deaccelerating particularly when warmed up.

I've had the car 5 months and its done it since I've had it - but sure something isn't right.

Does yours also make a similar but prolonged knocking noise when easing off in 2nd/3rd at low speeds over a speed bump etc - as I think this may be related?

Guessing maybe an engine mounting or DMF - but can't seem to find a definitive answer if this model has a DMF fitted??

Hi TimYaris

Sounds like your problem could be the same as mine.

Mine makes a clunking noise whenever accelerating or decelerating regardless of speed bumps. The clunking also happens when lifting the clutch after changing gear. As I say, not loud but noticeable.

I don't know if my Yaris has a dual mass flywheel or not but if it has it could be the source of the problem I suppose.

Chris

Have found this post at 'Honest John's Backroom Technical Matters' page. I've copied the relevant section below but the article can be found here: - http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=97168

"Toyota Yaris D4D October 2010 - Clutch noise - brooksie

Have had this car for 6 months. Its done 20,000 miles. It has developed a clonking noise when the clutch takes up the drive and when changing gear. I thought it was the DMF but the Toyota main dealer said it was the rear mid engine mounting This was changed but the noise is unaltered. Toyota is now saying that it is feature of the model - even though it was not present for the first couple of months.

Has anyone experienced a similar noise?

Toyota Yaris D4D October 2010 - Clutch noise - madf

Broken DMF (Dual-Mass Flywheel)

Toyota Yaris D4D October 2010 - Clutch noise - gordonbennet

Madf's probably right.

Is this dealer a large city type?

Find a smaller, preferably family owned dealer, more likely to try for goodwill for you for reapirs."

The Honest John site car review also says: -

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/yaris-2006/?section=good

"Dual mass flywheel failures on D-4Ds blamed by dealers as clutch failures are far from unknown, though normally replaced under warranty with no quibble".

I've just booked an appointment at my local Toyota dealer for tomorrow. I'll post what transpires here.

Chris

Hi Chris

Hope you get it sorted, I'll be interested in what they say!

When I asked the local dealer parts dept. they said this model didn't show as having a DMF - but as you say Google suggests otherwise.

Mine is still under the Toyota used approved warranty which doesn't cover clutches, not sure about a DMF though

Tim

Just picked up my Yaris D4D from our local Toyota dealer this afternoon. I dropped it off this morning with a detailed written description of the clunk/gear-change problem.

In a nutshell, they didn't find anything wrong with the car (apart from two Wiper Blades which they offered to replace for £21!).

The written report states that they took the car for two road tests with two different technicians. One technician reported that he could hear nothing abnormal when changing gear (but removed the rubber floor-mat just in case that was the cause!). The other reported that the only noise heard was when the gearbox was put ON/OFF engine (and that this was normal movement of engine/gearbox) - my italics.

The whole procedure didn't cost me anything (apart from the wipers!) which is good I suppose.

So, for what it's worth, I have a written report that the car has a clean bill of health and that no faults were found - hmmm... :g:

What was slightly more disconcerting though was the statement on the report that 'The vehicle is not believed to have an extended warranty'. When I queried this they said they couldn't find any record of the warranty on their database. I said that I had all the paperwork at home to prove it they just repeated that they could not find it. I offered to bring the documents in and show them they said "well as long as you have written proof there shouldn't be a problem should you need to make a claim"

...but I now have two new Wiper Blades - and the clunk noise - hmmmm... :disgust:

Hope this is of help to someone - not sure if it is for me.

Chris

An update: -

I'm still not happy with the gear-change 'clunk' noise but the written report I have from my Toyota dealer and the response on this forum seems to indicate it's not much of a problem :g:.

The car warranty lasts until March 2015 so I suppose it's covered for anything nasty happening until then.

But I've decided to sell the car while some warranty remains. A friend has offered to buy it (clunk and all) as she loves the car, it's low mileage and its performance. I sincerely hope it works out for her.

I'm picking up a Yaris Excel Hybrid next Monday :D.

Chris

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links