Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First Service- Garage Uses 5W 30- Should I Try To Get 0W 20?

Nicolai

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Not gonna cause damage straight away but continues use of 5w30 and a combination with late oil changes may cause some issues afterwards.
No need to worry about it now but at your next oil change best to use 0w20, the oil that the car has come off the factory. Toyota dealers simply save on products to increase their profits plus there might be stock shortages too. 

Got a very capable sealy oil pump think I’ll shuck it out tommorow or get it on ramps and drain it 

2 hours ago, Eddiefh said:

Got a very capable sealy oil pump think I’ll shuck it out tommorow or get it on ramps and drain it 

It’s all up to you. If it was me I will probably drive the car at least for few 1000’s miles before change it or as soon as it’s change it’s colour. No need to stress unnecessarily. At the end of the day if it was real risk to customers car’s perhaps they wouldn’t use this oil. 👍

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

It’s all up to you. If it was me I will probably drive the car at least for few 1000’s miles before change it or as soon as it’s change it’s colour. No need to stress unnecessarily. At the end of the day if it was real risk to customers car’s perhaps they wouldn’t use this oil. 👍

Good point , it does say in manual it can run on it ; done about a 1000 since they put wrong oil in , will leave until better weather 

• Like 2

Most shop use 5w-30 just because it is damn cheap. Most cars use 5w-30 and it cost 20% less than any 0w-20 from the same brand. 

I prefer 0w-20 508/509 or 0w-30 longlife 504/507 certified oil that always have very low pouring temp ~ -60C which mostly PAO (true synthetic), not group III HC synthetic. 

The 0w-20 is also mostly group III oil and only few use PAO base. Just check the pouring temperature, not all 0w-20 are the same.

The most wear is during cold starts, that's why Toyota recommend 0w-20 in all their gasoline engines and even 0w-8 in new Yaris hybrid. 

If I pay someone, I will be fine if the mechanics charge 20% less by using 5w-30 longlife oil.

Are late Gen 4 models not 0w16 ? Certainly the current ES I am driving uses this and recall reading the just discontinued Prius used the same.