Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Touch & Go

Chris Dance

Our new 2014 Prius T Spirit is fitted with a Toyota Touch & Go system. I have had the car one week and today I found out that you cannot use the steering wheel talk switch to make phone calls by saying dial by name etc.

On our previous 2011 model Prius T spirit you just set up a voice tag and you could phone using the steering wheel talk switch.

I have contacted the dealer and he stated the talk switch operation is only available on the Toyota Touch & Go Plus.

I am very disappointed to find this out. Can I upgrade to Toyoya Touch & Go Plus or am I stuck with the current unuseable hands free system?

The system installed on my new car does not have the facilities stated in the handbook. eg You cannot delete single contacts or set up speed dial.

Any helpful comments greatly appreciated.

Yeah, been there mate. Mine even says "voice activation button on steering wheel" right next to "stereo volume controls on steering wheel". How was I to know that only one of these actually works?

Anyway, I found a few work-arounds. Pressing one of the steering wheel buttons makes the touch screen list the previous contacts, pressing the same button again dials the first contact on that list. There are also two different phone books - adding your most used contacts to the relevant section at least saves you from scrolling thru the whole contact list. Or if you have an iPhone, pressing the home button on the phone, then holding the home button for a few seconds activates the voice dial function of the phone, but uses the car kit. I don't have siri but I've read it also works.

PS i have an Avensis, but I assume it'll be the same or similar.

Thanks for your comments Alan. Yes the voice activation button is on the steering wheel and when I purchased the car I assumed the hands free would be the same as on my previous 2011 Prius. I did not expect to get a later model car with a non useable hands free talk swich system.

I think we are touching on a general problem here, but I have no idea whether there is a good answer.

If you change from one vehicle to a closely related one, especially if the newer one is generally of a higher specification, it may seem reasonable to assume that facilities with the same name will have at least equal functionality. I guess that manufacturers don't see it like that.

The owner is not helped in sorting out the niceties when the manual describes several alternate arrangements and uses some general "escape" phrase such "when fitted".

"Caveat emptor" definitely applies and it is up to the potential owner to establish in detail the specification for the new vehicle, but previous ownership and experience can create naive assumptions even in people of considerable intellectual capability. I well remember a lady M.P. who had a puncture one night and how she expressed her shock at discovering that her car had no spare wheel. She was asked why she had not checked this when buying the car and answered that several decades of driving in a wide range of vehicles had led her to believe that cars always had a spare wheel!

When I changed from the Gen3 T Spirit to the PiP, I made naive assumptions about two of the systems shared by the cars, namely the head-up display and the rear view camera. The HUD on the PiP does not display the navigation turn information that was available on the T Spirit, even though the navigation system is supposed to be an improvement on that of the T Spirit. Similarly, the rear view camera has lost the very useful dynamic positioning direction lines that the T-Spirit enjoys. This is because those lines depend upon the data supplied by the sensors of the parking assist system and that system has been dropped from the PiP.

In a perfect world, one might expect a salesman to point out such differences, especially to a customer who has bought a string of vehicles from the dealer, but that implies not only the right motivation, but a level of understanding perhaps unreasonable for "rare" vehicles.

In the end it comes down to sorting it out for yourself, but it can be difficult to ask the right questions if you don't know that you don't know . . . . . :no:

• Like 2

I'm afraid it does boil down to checking specs before one buys, rather than making assumptions.

It is common for manufacturers to standardise some minor controls across a range in order to simplify production, cater for people who choose to buy certain options and reduce costs.

Stereos are good examples:

our 2003 Mazda 323 and 2003 Mazda Premacy had 'Minidisc/Tape' buttons - as we didn't choose to fit either the optional Minidisc or cassette tape players, being content with the radio and CD, the buttons were non-operational

our 2007 Mazda 2 had a non-operational 'Media' button - again for the optional Minidisc player which we weren't interested in

our 2009 and 2012 Auris had a non-operational DAB button - for the 2009 Auris we were content with the standard radio and CD, and for the 2012 Auris were content with the standard radio, CD, and Aux/USB sockets.

We had checked the specs before purchase, so weren't expecting the cars to have the features these controls were intended to operate.

Trouble with checking the specs is that there are often errors in the specs (E&OE). I have given up looking for the dual zone climate control in the gen3 prius. Also, the demonstrator you road tested will have been kitted out with all the options (floor mats, door protection, etc.) which you might not realise won't be on the one that you buy.

Not sure if you can upgrade to touch and go plus.

The website doesn't really say.

http://www.toyota.co.uk/owners-info/touch-and-go

Does it say more when you register on the portal?

I always thought that the T spirit was the top of the range, so I look up Toyota web site and checked the T spirit's spec. and this is what they have.

I would challenge toyota with there spec compared to what you have.

• 17" alloy wheels (or 16" alloy wheels when solar roof option is added)
  • LED headlamps
  • Headlamp cleaners
  • Dusk sensing headlamps
  • Water repellent glass (driver and front passenger windows)
  • Full smart entry system
  • Rear parking camera
  • Toyota Touch & Go Plus multimedia and navigation
  • Auto dimming rear-view mirror
  • JBL Greenedge premium sound system with 8 Speakers
  • Toyota Touch multimedia with MP3 connectivity
  • Cruise control
  • Black cloth upholstery with leather seat bolsters

Thanks lot Jim. You are right about the spec. I have just checked for myself. I have rung the sales manager at the dealers and he is now looking into it. I told him that I have a Touch & Go system on the car that is not fit for purpose. I am awaiting his reply. According to the spec my car should have touch & go plus. Salesman told me yesterday I have not got the PLUS system. Sales manager says if I am correct he thinks they can update it.

Anybody else think the person who named this system should be fired?

Quote from the 'Free Dictionary';

Touch and Go: Dangerous and uncertain in nature or outcome; precarious; delicate, fraught with danger.

:giljotiini:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/touch-and-go

• Like 2

My 2013 T Spirit was ordered with Solar Sun Roof, and so I expected 15/16" wheels.....but it surprisingly came with 17" rims

I'm afraid it does boil down to checking specs before one buys, rather than making assumptions.

It is common for manufacturers to standardise some minor controls across a range in order to simplify production, cater for people who choose to buy certain options and reduce costs.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, and I agree with you in principle, however... I had a 2009 TR spec Avensis, which had "voice activation button on steering wheel" according the to sales brochure. This button operated the voice function to make calls from pre-recorded voice tags. However, it's not compatible with an iPhone so I had to "cheat it" into storing numbers, using an old Samsung phone. It worked a treat including voice dialling, but only did caller ID with the stored numbers.

I then traded to a 2012 TR spec Avensis with T&G, which had "voice activation button on steering wheel", right below "stereo volume controls on steering wheel" (amongst others) in the sales brochure. Sure enough the car has these buttons, but the voice control one doesn't do anything except say "this function is not available" (or whatever it says).

Does this mean that where they state "volume controls on steering wheel" that I should check whether these actually work? How about the rear demister button, should it work? Or the horn pad on the steering wheel? I could go on, but I'm sure you get my point. Where it says "blah blah button", then blah blah should work from it.

I think it's highly misleading to say the least, and fair to say it's false advertising. (BTW I did a thread about this when I bought the car, I'm sure it was named "false advertising" or similar, if anyone wants to check it out).

Edit for typo

Touch and Go: Dangerous and uncertain in nature or outcome; precarious; delicate, fraught with danger.

From other topics recently on Touch and Go which call into question the adequacies of the navigation system, this definition is probably correct.

[OT] I was worried once when as a passenger (as an Air Training Corps cadet, in my teens) on an RAF transport aircraft the pilot announced he was making a "touch and go" landing. The aircraftsman in the cabin noticed me tightening my harness, and with a broad grin told me it meant taking off again immediately (for training) without slowing down as soon as he touched the runway!

I'm not trying to start an argument here, and I agree with you in principle, however... I had a 2009 TR spec Avensis, which had "voice activation button on steering wheel" according the to sales brochure. This button operated the voice function to make calls from pre-recorded voice tags. However, it's not compatible with an iPhone so I had to "cheat it" into storing numbers, using an old Samsung phone. It worked a treat including voice dialling, but only did caller ID with the stored numbers.

I then traded to a 2012 TR spec Avensis with T&G, which had "voice activation button on steering wheel", right below "stereo volume controls on steering wheel" (amongst others) in the sales brochure. Sure enough the car has these buttons, but the voice control one doesn't do anything except say "this function is not available" (or whatever it says).

I think it's highly misleading to say the least, and fair to say it's false advertising. (BTW I did a thread about this when I bought the car, I'm sure it was named "false advertising" or similar, if anyone wants to check it out).

Being devil's advocate, the fact that Toyota states a car has a certain button and the button is there, is accurate and not false advertising. The issue is whether it needs certain other equipment to operate.

Being devil's advocate, the fact that Toyota states a car has a certain button and the button is there, is accurate and not false advertising. The issue is whether it needs certain other equipment to operate.

However, while I agree that you could say that, IMO, I do believe a person can reasonably expect that having been directed to a button and its location, that said button should do the stated function. If the button requires a particular optional feature or features to function I think it reasonable that this is stated. To not disclose this information is misleading at the least, if not outright dishonest. To dupe customers by pretending you're clever just makes you look a prat.

Just my 2p worth.

• Like 1

All I commented on was whether such statements are false advertising - it is down to opinion as to whether such statements are misleading, and the level of being misled.

The fact is that I have been sold a car that is not up to the spec as stated on the Toyota web site. I informed the sales manager that the touch & go system fitted to my car is not fit for purpose. What is advertised should be on the car. I will let you know how things go. So far I have heard nothing from the sales manager since I made the complaint this morning.

Just to highlight - Toyota may become involved at some stage of whatever discussions you have, but ultimately and legally your contract of sale is with the dealer - not Toyota - and it is the dealer who has supplied the car to you.

Mike you are correct I am only dealing with dealer at the moment. The sales manager has asked me to hold in sending the satifaction survey in to Toyota. I just hope it gets resolved shortly. I think I have a strong case for it to be put right. The Touch & Go fitted to the new car is nothing like what is explained in the touch & go handbook.

Anybody else think the person who named this system should be fired?

Quote from the 'Free Dictionary';

:giljotiini:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/touch-and-go

Sounds like a good description of the Toyota T&G system to me :laughing:

• Like 2

Latest update with regard to my 2014 Prius and the Toyota Touch & Go System:

I have spoken again to the sales manager and he is being very helpful and he stated they will get it sorted. He stated the Plus & Go System Plus should be fitted to the new car. I have to take the car in tomorrow and his top technician will verify what system is fitted to the car. If the Plus system is not fitted he says it would have been an error at the Toyota factory. I am relieved that it will be sorted eventually. The attitude of the sales manager so far is excellent.

Just wonder whether it is worth determining the build date of the car - to see whether it is actually the latest spec.

The attitude of the sales manager so far is excellent.

Good to hear and generally Toyota dealers are spot on. That's the reason we have two Toyotas in our household. Our dealer almost bends over backwards to help or assist.

Latest update on 2014 Toyota T Spirit wiith Touch & Go System:

Took the car to the local dealer this morning. I was met by the Sales Manager who was concerned about the issues I had. After investigation it was confoirmed the car is fitted with Touch & Go Plus System. The Technician tried his I phone on the car and everything worked including the Talk Switch. Tried my old phone and again it all worked. It seems that the salesman who sold me the car gave me wrong information when he stated the car was not fitted with Touch Go Plus. and therefore the talk switch would not work. He had tried several times.

Having sorted that out, investigation found that you cannot carry out a single person delete from the contact list on the car. I have set my phone to default phone book but when pairing the phone I get the contacts twice. One from the the mobiles phone book and one from the phones sim card. I do not know how to prevent the touch & go reading the phone contacts and sim card contacts. I have tried the previous suggestion with no luck. Any ideas please. It seems th touch & Go system gives a mirror image of what is on the mobile phone.

The sales manager at the dealers was fantastic. I appreciate very much his help.

Toyota need to make the handbook instructions for the Touch & Go System easier to follow. The on line help videos for the system make it all look so easy but in practice it can be confusing.