Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Is This On My Front Bumper?

urban619

Hi All,

Here are some pics of 2 units which are attached and screwed on to my bumper just under the grill.

They are wired onto something. I haven't seen them on any other celicas.

Does anyone have any idea?

post-142971-0-47189700-1408474420_thumb.

post-142971-0-91760800-1408474425_thumb.

Certainly look like an aftermarket addon.

First thing that springs to mind are led daytime running lights - but they are black/smoked so unlikely.

Another possiblity is laser jammers for speed cameras:

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/bel904.htm

or http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/blinderM27x-Treme.htm

The above look very similar

Some sort of jammer was the first thing that came to my mind as well. Are those things legal? They're a great way to draw attention to your vehicle as well. If a copper with a radar gun can't get a reading from your vehicle he's going to want to find out why.

Are there any unusual switches or indicators inside the car?

Whether they are illegal or not i'm not sure, though I've read that if they cannot get a reading from your car they place a "marker" against your car on the police national computer. If this happens two or more times for the same car then the police are likely to pay you a visit.

As they physically "interfere" with a speed guns operation, then I would guess you could be done for perverting the course of justice, obstructing a police officer in the line of duty, etc.

Since 29th January 1998 it has been completely legal to sell, buy, own and use a radar detector in the UK.

In fact it never was illegal. The Police had been falsely prosecuting individuals for breaking the law with regard to the use of radar detectors. Saying that to collect information from the radar source was some sort of contravention of the Wireless and Telegraphy Act of 1949. The Police radar does not contain any form of information that is covered in the Act so therefore this argument becomes invalid.

"A judgement of the Queens Bench Divisional Court dated 29th January 1998 makes it clear that the use of Radar Detectors is not unlawful as has hitherto been claimed by some. In the past a few prosecutions have been brought by claiming the use of radar detectors was contrary to section 5( B)(I) of the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949 as amended by section 3 of the Post Office Act 1969.

However the Acts refer to the interception of wireless communications for the purpose of obtaining information as to the content, sender or addressee of any message. The Court concluded that the radar transmission was not communicating a 'message' and therefore equipment designed to detect the presence of the transmission could not decode any such message.

It was further stated that section 1(1) of the Act, which requires a licence for the reception of radio signals, has been superseded by the Wireless Telegraphy Apparatus (Receivers)(Exemption) Regulations (SI 1989 No123) which exempts radar detectors and similar equipment from the need for such licences."

Whilst I agree Radar Detectors are legal in the UK, they are however very different to laser jammers.

Radar Detectors are completely passive and only detect the presence of a radar signal from a speed gun, much like your car radio picks up a radio signal.

Laser jammers are active, and actually interfere with the laser (LIDAR) signal from the speed gun, usually by detecting the speed gun laser hitting it, and sending back a similar, but more intense signal which "confuses" the speed gun.

A quick google search implies that laser jammers are not specifically illegal, however as per my previous post people are getting done for perverting the course of justice which is quite a serious offence:

http://www.motorists-lawyer-kent.co.uk/blog/detail.rhtm/768746/laser_jammers_and_the_law.rhtm

My advice to the OP: If it were me I would (if they are laser jammers) ensure they are disconnected ASAP.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links