Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Error Code P0400

Craftycooky

Hi,

Had an issue yesterday loss of power, loads of black exhaust smoke ending up with the engine management light on with a code of P0400.

The EGR was taken off and very sooted up with some larger lumps, this was cleaned and the code reset, all seemed ok on a short run. Going on a longer run today to see if it comes back.

Have seen loads written about this but what I was wondering was whether this is a sign of something more serious wrong with the engine.

Its a 2.2 D4D engine with 45k.

It's a 2007 model.

Thanks

Dave

A code P0400 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

• Plugged EGR passage which restricts the flow of exhaust gasses

• Faulty EGR solenoid

• Faulty EGR solenoid wiring/harness

• Vacuum lines damaged/disconnected to the EGR valve solenoid or to the EGR valve

• Faulty EGR valve

Hi,

Thanks for that, now the EGR has been cleaned all currently seems ok.

I was wondering if this was the starting sign that something else maybe going wrong with the engine as there is quite a lot written about serious problems with this engine.

Thanks

Diesel EGR valves get clogged up, that's the nature of the beast. All you can do is use good quality fuel and the right oil (changed regularly) to reduce the rate of build-up. If the EGR needed cleaning, the rest of the inlet tract probably needs a clean as well, hopefully it was all done at the same time.

Hi Dave, what sort off running do you do with the vehicle, local short runs or longer journeys, either way this engine works better with a clear out once a week that means give it a bit of wellie and blow the muck out the back to help stop the clogging up of various parts, forget your mpg for one journey of say 20 mins every 7 days use the throttle with a heavy boot!

Mike.

Give it an Italian service, Drive it like you stole it :)

Ok guys thanks, going out for a pedal to the metal run now, just checking speed cam locations :blow:

Only had the car for a month after buying from a mate, my driving is very urban his was suburban/rural.

Anybody used Wynns EGR cleaner - any good?

After reading reports of big problems with this engine was getting worried it maybe the start of something nasty.

Cheers

Dave

If you're doing shorter runs, you could try a fuel additive that (supposedly) improves combustion. At the end of the day though, due to all the EU mandated emissions control mechanisms attached to modern diesels, they are best used for long runs where they get hot and stay that way. For poolting around town or doing nothing but short school runs, petrol engined vehicles are a better bet.

If you must use a diesel for lots of short runs, make sure you give it a good long run every now and then. Sounds like a good excuse for a weekend run somewhere :)

I've never used an EGR cleaner so can't really comment on it except to say that some people seem to have had success with the stuff. If you do try it, let us know how it goes!

I know it's a bit dearer but i suggest using the 'posh' diesel at the pumps, Shell V power etc, the extra additives are believed to cut down on the muck that builds up inside the engine and therefore saves on unnecessary bills from the garage.

Diesels/emissions these days the cars store it (The carbon/muck) within themselves to beat certain emission standards but it's all a bit one sided as you need to give it a good run on a regular basis to clear out the various components that are there to filter it and then put it back into the atmosphere, yea i know it sounds daft but that's about the long and the short of it.

Petrols are defo better on short runs or a diesel is ok on short runs with a decent one on a regular basis to blow the cobwebs out.

Hope you enjoy your car, Mike.

After reading a lot about EGR's on the web it would seem, as has been mentioned, they are prone to clogging up especially on diesels being used around town.

As this is the case wouldn't it be a good idea for Toyota (and others) to include this on the service schedule.

• Like 1

Hi,

Just been reading this post -

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/132178-charliefarlies-guide-to-the-toyota-2ad-diesel-engine-and-its-issues/

My Rav is not using oil but the post mentions clogged egr with soot (which is what I had) and engine replacement.

Getting very worried now, do I need to be.

EGR sooting is pretty much an inevitability. Unless you get the other symptoms I wouldn't be too concerned. The problems mentioned in that post didn't affect every engine of that type but the owners of the ones that weren't affected don't tend to come on to forums and tell the world how amazingly reliable their cars have been :)

EGR sooting is pretty much an inevitability. Unless you get the other symptoms I wouldn't be too concerned. The problems mentioned in that post didn't affect every engine of that type but the owners of the ones that weren't affected don't tend to come on to forums and tell the world how amazingly reliable their cars have been :)

Couldn't agree more , I know a few people who have had no issues including myself and reliability

is second to none IMO. Not many owners come forward when the car is running good ;)

Hi,

Had an issue yesterday loss of power, loads of black exhaust smoke ending up with the engine management light on with a code of P0400.

The EGR was taken off and very sooted up with some larger lumps, this was cleaned and the code reset, all seemed ok on a short run. Going on a longer run today to see if it comes back.

Have seen loads written about this but what I was wondering was whether this is a sign of something more serious wrong with the engine.

Its a 2.2 D4D engine with 45k.

It's a 2007 model.

Thanks

Dave

What is the registration date of your car? As if the car is still less than 7 years old then P0400 faults are covered by the same 7year/111846mile warranty as applied to cars with oil consumption issues. There are a series of modifications that can be done depending on what is found during diagnosis which may include , new EGR, Injectors, Modified EGR cooler setup from later models and modified intake manifold along with a ECU reflash with updated software.

Hi All,

Many thanks for the replies, the car is an April 07 model so now too old for the Toyota warranty. Car has done 45500 miles.

Understand that posts here mainly relate to problems and there are lots of good reliable cars out there. As mentioned in other posts it a nuisance that figures are not available, if they were at least we would know the odds.

Been out for a couple of trips around 30 and 60 miles, all fluid levels ok and as they were when serviced in April by Toyota 2000 miles ago.

Maybe I'm worrying about nothing but it does feel like waiting for a time bomb to go off.

Although expensive might take out the Toyota extended warranty.

• 5 years later...

My auris 08 d4d 2.2sr has got the code po400, ive changed the egr valve n had it carbon cleaned but after about 30/40 miles engine management light came on,, what do I do? 

I've driven diesel cars for the last 25 years and once they put the egr onto the engine everyone of my cars has had some sort of a problem with the egr, I've found that putting the car in for a service every year and asking that they clean the egr and the maf this has always helped and I've never been troubled with any codes coming up ,make sure you clean the plug as well as this can sometimes get dirty connections and cause codes to appear, I don't personally clean the egr but it's not difficult I'm disabled now and can't do work on the car but I do watch and ask questIons , plus it helps if you can't do it yourself to have a good mechanic, watch Scotty Kilmer on you tube and he shows how to clean and look after the egr plus he loves Toyota cars 

20 hours ago, Crazyleggs said:

My auris 08 d4d 2.2sr has got the code po400, ive changed the egr valve n had it carbon cleaned but after about 30/40 miles engine management light came on,, what do I do? 

P0400 is not specifically a faulty EGR its a code set when Exhaust gas flow is restricted and sets when the EGR system gets blocked, there is however more than just an EGR valve and if the one valve is clear there is another valve, pipes and a cooler any of which could be blocked.

See the pic attached Blue are EGR valves, Red is the EGR Cooler and green is the gas routeCapture.thumb.PNG.3519eb2f74a6656247b9f6e7a029db7c.PNG

• 3 years later...

I had a similar issue with P0400, also P1229, replaced the fuel filter, maf sensor, air filter, EGR valve, Battery and the final piece of the puzzle that finally fixed it for me was replacing the SCV valves.  This was on a 2005 2.0 D4D.  The symptoms were occasionally starting with the engine management light on and in limp mode, having to turn car off and remove key multiple times to clear the light and limp mode, then would run ok.  Once it had been running, if I turned it off then it was really struggling to get started again- like the Battery was flat, but I had just replaced the Battery.  I managed to get a pair of replacement suction control valves (new) from an eBay seller for £60 for the pair. While fitting the replacements, ensure that you put some oil on the rubber o rings to prevent them from getting stuck (pinched) and damaged while fitting, my original ones did show some damage to the rubber rings. 

To fit them, I removed the water reservoir, the intercooler, the front hose from the intercooler, the plastic engine cover, the small bracket at the front of the left hand side of the engine that supports the wiring loom, and the pipe supplying the diesel to the fuel rail.  This gave me the clearance to get a 3/8 bar in with a 5mm allen key in it, and although scraped a couple of knuckles managed to get the job done.

• Like 1