Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Suspension/steering Info. Car Pulls To One Side

alan333

Hi,

Anyone got any info or diagrams etc showing the front steering/suspension setup and toe settings on a 2011 1.6 petrol Auris?

I'm finding the steering a bit weird, ie it drifts/pulls too easily to the left, even on an opposite camber. This led me to checking the tracking, and doing some measurements etc. According to the sales brochure the wheelbase is 2600mm and, while one side is, the other side is about 2605mm. I've measured the distance between the wheels and the associated bumper/wings and it seems the front wheel is 5mm too far forward.

The last car i came across this on was a 2005 Jaguar X Type, which had a front subframe which had to be positioned accurately with locator pins - does the Auris have similar?

Alternatively, has anyone came across anything similar? The car is covered under the 5 year warranty, so it could go to Toyota, but I'd rather have an idea of what's up before I go that way.

TIA :)

An update... I've swapped the wheels diagonally and this has cured the pull to the left. It seems there could be a fault with the fairly new el-cheapo tyres the dealer fitted on the front. I'd still like the toe settings if anyone can oblige tho.

Some further info... We've only had the car about 3 months, bought at 18k miles and with it's first full MOT. The MOT showed an advisory on both front tyres worn, and it had new ones on the front when we got it. Should it need new fronts at under 20k? The back, which I assume are the originals, are Goodyears.

• Like 1

A lot of spins and hard braking can do that. Check the front pads if they are worn.

Front pads fine, rears fairly worn tho. I'd normally expect the fronts to get the wear, but having browsed around it seems the consensus is that the Auris rear pads are made from different material to the fronts, so wear quicker.

The back, which I assume are the originals, are Goodyears.

Goodyear Excellence tyres were only OE equipment on some Auris models with 15 inch wheels (not Hybrids) - probably the base T2's.

The back, which I assume are the originals, are Goodyears.

Goodyear Excellence tyres were only OE equipment on some Auris models with 15 inch wheels (not Hybrids) - probably the base T2's.

Yep, my mistake, they're Dunlops, sorry.

I had something similar on my Corolla and it turned out to be a miss-shaped tyre on the front mine used to wobble very slightly. I remember I hit a block of wood on the motorway and it was after this that I noticed pulling. New front tyres were fitted and the problem went away.

Thanks for the replies everyone. The car is marginally straying to the opposite side now that I've swapped the tyres diagonally. I think I'll swap the "suspect" tyres side for side on the rear and see if it changes anything. I can't see any defects or bulges etc when spinning them by hand, but there's definitely something afoot somewhere. I still can't find the toe settings tho if anyone can help.

The Auris does seem camber sensitive, mine would follow the road camber until I got the tracking set to toe in. The spec I think is Toe In 1mm +/- 1mm i.e. 0 to 2mm. Most garages set the steering to parallel i.e 0mm. With mine set to 0.5mm Toe In the car was much better.

Andy.

Thanks for the info, I'll try swapping the wheels first and see if I can get the steering wheel pointing straight, then try setting a bit of toe in.

That russian site looks like the info I'm looking for too, I'll have a play with a translator.

Thanks again :)

Another update, and a re-cap for anyone coming in late...

Car pulled to the left, so I checked and adjusted tracking, which made little difference. I also measured the wheelbase and it's 5mm longer at the near side, for no apparent reason. Swapped el-cheapo front tyres (3 month old, 2k miles, dealer fitted) diagonally onto the rears. Car now drifts slightly to the right, and tramlines a bit. Swapped rear tyres side for side (so now the one which was originally on front left is on rear left etc), which made no difference. Checked and adjusted tracking again, setting this time with a little toe in. Car now goes straight, and doesn't tramline so much. I'll keep an eye on tyre wear, but it seems ok now. Forgot to say I've inspected the el-cheapo's and there's nothing sinister apparent.

Anyone else came across anything similar with el-cheapo tyres? Or the extra 5mm on the wheelbase?

• Like 1