Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2010 Auris Tr Ipod Support

Alexlotl

I've just got a 2010 Auris 1.6 V-Matic TR, which seems have had a few factory extras fitted by the original owner (mudguards and parking sensors, for instance).

It has a USB port in the upper glove compartment, below the line in. I expected this would only be good for playing MP3s off USB sticks, but when I plugged my iPhone 4S into it via the dock cable, it surprisingly provides full iPod control via AUX on the head unit. It does seem to get a bit confused when the app with audio control is anything other than the music app (e.g. my non-Apple podcast app), but it's a nice bonus.

Quick Qs:

1) Is this standard for the 2010 Auris TR, or did the previous owner get some kind of iPod kit fitted?

2) Does anyone know if it works with the newer, lightning connector iPhones (5/5S/5C), or just the old dock connector ones? Will probably be upgrading later in the year, and want to know if I should also budget for a used iPod Classic to load up with music, stick in the glove compartment and forget about.

According to my owners manual (2012) the following are compatible with the Toyota head unit:

iPod: 5th generation - software version 1.2 or higher

iPod Nano: 1st generation - software version 1.3.0 or higher; 2nd generation - software version 1.1.2 or higher; 3rd generation - software version 1.0.0 or higher.

iPod Touch: 1st generation - software version 1.1.0 or higher

iPod Classic: 1st generation - software version 1.0.0 or higher

There is a rider to the above - 'depending on differences between models or software version, etc, some of the listed models may be incompatible with this system.'

It goes onto state that iPod 4th generation, iPhone, iPod Mini, iPod shuffle and iPod Photo aren't compatible.

I've just got a 2010 Auris 1.6 V-Matic TR, which seems have had a few factory extras fitted by the original owner (mudguards and parking sensors, for instance).

It has a USB port in the upper glove compartment, below the line in. I expected this would only be good for playing MP3s off USB sticks, but when I plugged my iPhone 4S into it via the dock cable, it surprisingly provides full iPod control via AUX on the head unit. It does seem to get a bit confused when the app with audio control is anything other than the Music app (e.g. my non-Apple podcast app), but it's a nice bonus.

Quick Qs:

1) Is this standard for the 2010 Auris TR, or did the previous owner get some kind of iPod kit fitted?

2) Does anyone know if it works with the newer, lightning connector iPhones (5/5S/5C), or just the old dock connector ones? Will probably be upgrading later in the year, and want to know if I should also budget for a used iPod Classic to load up with music, stick in the glove compartment and forget about.

Our 2011 TR has the same USB port in the top glovebox, and gives full control our ipods (Nano 4th & 5th gen), and our iPhone 4's from the head unit, so I guess it was a standard feature after a certain date.

I don't see that a lightning connector phone would make any difference, but haven't tried one. However if you wait a week or two until my sister in law visits with her charging lead I'll check if her iPhone 5s works.

As an idea... if you're upgrading then why not just use your (old) iPhone 4s as an ipod, and stick it in the glovebox and forget about? This'll save you buying an ipod, and will give you a spare phone if your new one goes faulty or something.

Hmm, nice idea, but a second-hand 160Gb iPod Classic should be pretty cheap, meaning I'll have plenty of change left over after selling my 64Gb 4S. Should be able to get my entire music library on there too.

Thanks for the offer to test the lightning cable, let me know how it goes. I know the dock connector included a flat analogue line-out while the lightning cable doesn't, which has screwed up a lot of accessories. The official Apple lightning-to-dock adapter actually includes a DAC to emulate this, although it's not up to the quality of the ones built into the phones.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links