Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Owner To The Club :)

genkville

Hi,

First impressions of this forum are great having browsed it last night.

I've just bought a toyota avensis (04) diesel T4.

3rd owner and I must say it's a lovely car. I'm really enjoying the feel of driving a diesel also.

A few questions, the car has done 123,000 miles. Timing belt was changed at 61,000. Do you think it's time for a change or can I squeeze 10,000 miles from it before changing it?

Also, the clutch feels very firm in the car. It's not slipping and the bite is great, but just feels firm. Anything for me to worry about.

Thanks in advance :)

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Personally I'd be changing the belt very soon - although time & maintenance are significant factors. I know the later diesels are chain-cam, but if yours has been marked as done at 60k it's most likely time for another one.

• Like 1

Hello - welcome to Toyota Owners Club

• Like 1

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Personally I'd be changing the belt very soon - although time & maintenance are significant factors. I know the later diesels are chain-cam, but if yours has been marked as done at 60k it's most likely time for another one.

Cheers for reply.

I bought it used for £1500. 2 owners. Last owner was a lady, mot until may 2015 and tax until may 2015. Not advisory's on mot. Alleged service history but not present, this was mentioned during sale.

Do you think £1500 is reasonable? And how much would a timing belt change normally cost.

Mo

Hi,

First impressions of this forum are great having browsed it last night.

I've just bought a toyota avensis (04) diesel T4.

3rd owner and I must say it's a lovely car. I'm really enjoying the feel of driving a diesel also.

A few questions, the car has done 123,000 miles. Timing belt was changed at 61,000. Do you think it's time for a change or can I squeeze 10,000 miles from it before changing it?

Also, the clutch feels very firm in the car. It's not slipping and the bite is great, but just feels firm. Anything for me to worry about.

Thanks in advance :)

Welcome,

The cambelt on your car should be replaced every 6years/60000miles whichever occurs soonest so your belt is now overdue, so I would suggest getting it replaced as soon as possible, Toyota do offer a fixed price cambelt replacement of £289 all incl. Also at 120k Toyota list the blades in your brake vacuum pump as needing replacement.

There are a few causes of a heavy clutch pedal on your model Avensis listed in order of commonality:

* Lack of lubrication of clutch release fork pivot ( gearbox out remove, clean & relube release fork pivot, replace if worn )

* Worn out clutch cover and friction plate ( new clutch kit & relube clutch fork )

* Old clutch hydraulic fluid or poorly bled hydraulic circuit

* Worn/faulty clutch slave cylinder

* Worn/faulty clutch master cylinder

• Like 2

Good price at £1500.

Good advice given above.

Change belt as soon as possible consider changing water pump too whilst you are there as its driven by the timing belt, If the water pump fails it can throw your belt off.

I had a heavy clutch;

I changed the master cylinder which made it lighter but was still firm (had to change slave cylinder as had problem bleeding).

I recently changed the clutch kit which has made it normal, lovely to drive now.

bear in mind your car has a dual mass flywheel fitted as standard so if you do decide to change clutch and your flywheel is on its way- it can be costly.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

So, shall I use something like euro car parts to order the timing belt and get quotes from garages?

@d4d786 - I don't mind the firm clutch. Just don't want it to damage the car and if i need to change it, I will.

Any further advice would he appreciated :)

Hi guys, been quoted £300 for parts and labour. They'll be using blueprint parts - waterpump, timing belt kit and antifreeze etc.

Blueprint any good guys? Every garage keeps telling me that's the best to use.

Blueprint are okay - I've used their wheel bearings twice in the past.

• Like 1

Never used those companies before so couldn't comment on quality or service, but price seems pretty decent :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links