Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Newbie Hilux Question

don simon

This newbie is looking to buy a Hilux and have recently tested a 2.5 double cab which has a pretty good price and drives well except for...

...The gear shifter which feels very slack and makes selecting gears very hit and miss, particularly third. The truck itself is quite tidy, straight and drives well for a vehicle with 90k miles. it doesn't want to jump out of gear, it's just difficult putting it into gear which makes me think it's the selectors.

Is this a normal problem and easily fixed or is there something more serious and expensive lurking around the corner?

Thanks.

This newbie is looking to buy a Hilux and have recently tested a 2.5 double cab which has a pretty good price and drives well except for...

...The gear shifter which feels very slack and makes selecting gears very hit and miss, particularly third. The truck itself is quite tidy, straight and drives well for a vehicle with 90k miles. it doesn't want to jump out of gear, it's just difficult putting it into gear which makes me think it's the selectors.

Is this a normal problem and easily fixed or is there something more serious and expensive lurking around the corner?

Thanks.

90k isn`t a lot for a Hilux and they`re not noted for weak boxes but sounds as if there could be a problem.

Price it with a replacement box with the seller.

90k is nothing, the gear box selectors should not be doing that if it has only 90 on the clock. based on that I would steer well clear also that year can have massive head issues, if you buy it put in a high volume radiator and service it regularly.

90k is nothing, the gear box selectors should not be doing that if it has only 90 on the clock. based on that I would steer well clear also that year can have massive head issues,

No the 2.4 can have head problems but the 2.5 d4d are bulletproof. ;)

90k is nothing, the gear box selectors should not be doing that if it has only 90 on the clock. based on that I would steer well clear also that year can have massive head issues,

No the 2.4 can have head problems but the 2.5 d4d are bulletproof. ;)

Thanks both for the info, I'd concur with the 2,4 having head problems not the 2,5.

EDIT: I priced up a box and clutch replacement and fitted, eye watering prices. :crazy:

Maybe so however any vehicle which has not been looked after will have its issues, and the one he is speaking about is having gearbox issues after 90k? I am guessing it has been THRASHED and not looked after. I would steer clear based on the gearbox issue alone, who knows what else it will need soon.

I have several mates who have had no end of troubles from 2.4L, 2.5L and 2.8L with the 2.8L proving more reliable of the three. given this I went to what I was told was the "bullet proof" 3L 1KZ and I have had to replace the head not long after owning it. the previous owner(s) just drove it guess who was landed with the maintenance.

there is not much I have not done to mine, some reactive and some preventative but the only thing I have not done is change the factory wheels, you name it and I have replaced it. mine does get a hard life so I am ontop of issues before I get stuck in the wop wops, usually! my issues aside I have had less issues than my mates who own land rovers, mitsi's, isuzu, holden/opel, given this toyota is still my first pick of the bunch.

take care out there