Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 2007 Head Gasket

Worried2

Gjnorthall,

thank you for the reply, it gives me a clearer grasp of the costs, not sure I understand what "charge-out rate to dealers" means but I am not in the motor buisiness.

Off to think about my options for a few days

Thanks again Worried

As a dealer when we carry out warranty repairs we have a set hourly labour rate and have to charge the parts at cost 7% at my dealer we charge:

£90/hour + VAT as a retail labour rate

£54.47/hour as a warranty rate back to Toyota on cars up to 3 years old

£41.22/hour as a warranty rate back to Toyota on cars from 3-5 years old

The rate we are allowed to charge is set by Toyota and are significantly lower than retail rates, so if you where looking at a warranty invoice for prices the reality is at retail the price is going to be much higher.

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the information. Not sure i understand what it means for me as the owner of a sick out of warranty Rav4.

How much do you think i should expect to pay?

Thanks again

Worried2

It will be be close to 7-8k with out the subsidies of the goodwill extension.

A Toyota replacement engine is one option but there are others. Some stripping and examination would be needed but it is possible to replace pistons and if necessary repair any casting damage caused by gasket shuffle.

A Toyota replacement engine is one option but there are others. Some stripping and examination would be needed but it is possible to replace pistons and if necessary repair any casting damage caused by gasket shuffle.

I guess this is true, but from what i have read Toyota abandoned this practice due to poor reliability of repaired engines?

There was mixed experience when Toyota dealers rebuilt Rav4 engines and often took an eternity in workshop time. To be fair, many Toyota dealers simply won't be experienced in engine rebuilding but to others it may well be their bread and butter. There are machine shops that can rebuild the engine and I'm sure that their services will be called upon at an increasing rate as engines fail outside the goodwill warranty period / mileage.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links