Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Back Door Hinge Conversion.

Loobs

Somebody mentioned to me that it may be possible to get a hinge conversion (his words) to allow the door to go fully to 90 degrees. Is this true?

Yes it's true, easy to fit less than 15 mins. Makes all the difference, got mine from japarts.co.uk around the £60 .http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=71227

Just looked on there site and can't see it now, part number was j6865042040 cost was £58.00 inc p&p.

Haha have just seen the title, good old typo!

Could have been an M instead of a G.....LOL

Thanks GS, will take a look now.

Doosan, hadn't thought of that hahahaha

Somebody mentioned to me that it may be possible to get a hinge conversion (his words) to allow the door to go fully to 90 degrees. Is this true?

I have converted two Rav 4 rear doors. The first was with a purchased extended stay. Then, being mean, I decided to try and convert the original. After much experimenting with the first original I simply cut the standard stay 30mm from the vehicle end and welded in a 20mm extension to the strap. Works perfectly.

Hi,

Changed mine for the Japarts one, you won't regret it it's much more practical. Only thing is watch out if the wind gets behind it and blows it open, there's a lot more chance to bend the hinge panel with it opening further, I always open the door fully when it's windy as the original opening point still exists on the 90deg. hinge and if left on this and a strong breeze catches it............

Norm

Noted, I won't be fitting mine for a few weeks as I'm working away currently.

It was a few years ago now, but I got mine from the local Toyota dealer (I think the part description was something like "Rear door stay - non-UK version").

Fitting is a cinch, & mine at least has a detent that holds the door open at the standard angle as well as allowing it to open fully.

I also agree with the earlier comment about watching out if it's windy or if you're parked on a steep slope!

Last but not least, while the extended stay is technically illegal because having the door fully open blocks off a rear light, it's been through 7 MOT's without a problem.

Cheers,

Bob

This particular aspect isn't covered by the MOT regulations so wouldn't be checked. It's covered by the Construction and Use Regulations.

If that worries you, you could always get your soldering iron out and fit a rear light to the inside of the door. Never ceases to amaze me how manufacturers would rather allow legislation to make life awkward for customers rather than actually find ways ways to work around/with it.

I think that the nightmare scenario would be door open at night , cyclist crashes into it as they didn't see the obscured light, no win no fee lawyer takes on the case, insurance co refuses to pay out because of illegal mod .

I don't think that the conversion is a big deal and is very unlikely to get you into bother. Many have fitted a red light or reflective strip on the door edge. The picture shows a superbright red LED which is simply wired to the door switch - a very easy installation with no drilling on the 4.3 - a bit more difficult on the 4.2.

post-101022-0-23550300-1410594201_thumb.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links