Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 Avensis Tourer Noise Levels

alytrev

Having owned Toyotas for the past 40 years, I decided to update my trusty 2006 Avensis to a 2013 tourer model, but I'm so disappointed with the cabin noise levels. All the reviews seem to compliment the improved cabin quietness, but this car is much harsher & noisier. So much so I have to turn the radio up more than I should. There is nothing I can pinpoint, it is just the general noise level.

I'm sure it's not tyre noise. The car has done 16000 miles and the tyres have quite a few thousand miles left, so I'm reluctant to change them in case it makes no difference.

The car is otherwise in pristine condition. It just feels like I'm driving a much cheaper car with no sound proofing. It's the only Toyota I have ever been disappointed with and if the issue can't be resolved, it will have to go, as I just don't enjoy driving it.

I would be grateful for any thoughts.

My saloon is pretty quiet. Is there any way you can drive another car, like from a dealer etc, to see if it's just your one?

I took one for a test drive about 2 weeks before I bought this one and was happy with the drive. When I drove this one I just thought the tyre pressures may have been too hard but when i checked them they were correct. I will take another one out this week to compare.

Hi,

I did think my 2010, generated noticeable wind noise in cabin, when i first owned it. I put, my noticing it down to having nearly exclusively driven 4wd pick-ups and 4wd wagons for the past 8 years where engine noise was dominant. I soon got used to it though and don't notice it now.

Road noise is not an issue until the surface is poor. Could this have been key for you in this experience.

If anything the car is quiet enough that i notice little ticks and creaks from the dash, which seem to bug me the most. Most likely automated climate control functions and the little ticks and creaks that every vehicle i've owned has had to some degree.

For me its radio on problem solved.

And for what its worth, I do not think my Avensis is Toyota's best example of a quality build.

Tyres do make a difference. I tested two identical models when I bought my Avensis, both were low mileage ex Toyota cars but one had Bridgestone tyres and the other Goodyear Excellence. The Goodyears were far quieter than the Bridgestones. However I did buy the one with Bridgestone tyres because of colour preference. The Bridgestones only lasted around 16000 miles so now running Goodyear Efficient Grip which are quieter than the Bridgestones but not as quiet as the Goodyear Excellence.

As a further comparison our two previous cars were a 2004 Honda Accord and a 2009 Civic. I find the Avensis is far quieter than both.

thanks for the replies, booked in on friday with dealer, so see what happens

Update. Just picked up the car from the dealer, they have fitted a modified auxiliary belt which seems to have improved the noise levels. They also fitted a new ventilation filter and have flushed the vents to eliminate a bad smell, that seems to have improved as well but it still smells a bit. Hope after it has more use it will improve.