Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sluggish Low On Power 2002 D4D

weecorey

Some help required please.

2002 Rav4 D4D, sluggish throughout the rev range, you can notice a difference when the turbo kicks in but still isn't as it should be.

I have rebuilt the turbo 20,000 miles ago and it is solid with no play, I changed the scv valves a couple of years back and this is a different kind of power loss so I'm confident it isn't those. I have checked all pipe work for leaks and spilts and found nothing, there is good vacuum on the tube coming from the top of the turbo. I've had it on diagnostic machine and its showing no faults/codes and there are no lights on the dash that shouldn't be there. I've been told that the large pipe going to the intercooler should have more pressure in it than it does, when the car is running you can easily squeeze the pipe together. There are no noises bangs or rattles, no excess smoke.

I'm not a mechanic but do all my own work. Any advice much apprecited. Cheers

If possible try disconnecting the front exhaust pipe and driving the car to see if you get your lot power back, there is a small catalyst in there and it can block restricting exhaust flow. If this improves the issue the catalyst can sometime be flushed through with a hot pressure washer or off the shelf catalyst flushes, ultimately you may need a replacement pipe if it cannot be flushed.

If possible try disconnecting the front exhaust pipe and driving the car to see if you get your lot power back, there is a small catalyst in there and it can block restricting exhaust flow. If this improves the issue the catalyst can sometime be flushed through with a hot pressure washer or off the shelf catalyst flushes, ultimately you may need a replacement pipe if it cannot be flushed.

Cheers, I'll give that a go. We dont need this car at the minute so I'm just working at it when I get the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Update... seems to be quite a bit of blow by from the engine, when I remove the filler cap with the car running she puffing like a steam train, checked the crankcase breather and its not blocked. Thinking this is a cylinder/piston problem now, might have to be retired to the scrap yard!

Update... seems to be quite a bit of blow by from the engine, when I remove the filler cap with the car running she puffing like a steam train, checked the crankcase breather and its not blocked. Thinking this is a cylinder/piston problem now, might have to be retired to the scrap yard!

Don't panic yet the symptoms you mention can be caused by faulty injectors seals, your injectors are inside the rocker cover and a leaking seal will allow combustion pressure into the cam cover area creating the puffing sensation you can feel.

Don't panic yet the symptoms you mention can be caused by faulty injectors seals, your injectors are inside the rocker cover and a leaking seal will allow combustion pressure into the cam cover area creating the puffing sensation you can feel.

I'll investigate that! Thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links