Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Abs Failure

Carl1321

I have a 2007 XT5 Rav 2.2 Diesel.

While driving along the other day I got a failure light 'check ABS' followed by 'check brakes' light followed by 'check VSC' light.

The cruise control no longer operates either, guess this is because it is linked to the braking system.

I took the vehicle to the garage and nothing appears on their diagnostics machine other than ABS FAILURE. They are unable to determine the fault.

The garage checked all the sensor's and they are ok.

So I am left with my Rav with a fault showing in the braking system.

HELP....... Does anybody have an answer for this problem.

Carl

Are those lights on all the time or do they only come on after you've applied the brakes?

I'm thinking it may be the brake light switch (on the brake pedal assembly).

The lights come on and stay on as soon as you touch the brakes once you start the engine.

Not sure which diagnostic machine that's been used, but an ABS code reader will generate a specific code for the fault. The code will direct you to possible failure modes. You'll need to visit a garage with an appropriate reader or a Toyota Dealer.

As stated above if the warning lights came on there will be a specific fault code, something along the line of "C1201 brake system malfunction" that fault code will be associated with a specific diagnostic process to determine the cause.

We/You need that code to progress!

Thanks everyone. I have booked the car into our Toyota dealer for first thing Monday morning. I will let you know the result.

In the meantime can anybody tell me is the car safe to drive ? The brakes work fine except for the ABS of course.

As the brakes are mechanical and the warning lights are electrical is there any way the electrics can cause the brakes to fail ?

Thanks again

Carl

The brakes will function ok with the ABS light illuminated but obviously you won't have the various benefits of ABS - including longer stopping distances in some circumstances. The fault you have would be an MOT failure and not having a working ABS system could have insurance implications.

Well done Korat102 and thanks.

It turned out to be the Brake Light Switch.