Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Puffs Of White/greyish Smoke

m700n

Hi everyone,

I am getting random puffs of smoke coming from the exhaust every 30 seconds or so from my Auris t180. I can be travelling at any speed. I am not getting any power loss or any other symptoms. It has been ongoing for about a week.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Mike

Check your coolant levels. White smoke could be coolant vapourising during combustion... could indicate a head gasket issue?

Yes, but it could also just be the engine desperately trying to clear a partially blocked system. So if the oil & coolant levels are fine & there's no mixing of the two going on, I'd suggest taking the car for 'a spirited drive' (using more revs in each gear) and for at least 20 mins to get enough heat built up in the system to clean it out.

These engines (as most of us know by know) don't like low-rev commuting, especially not cold start short runs.

I will check the levels tonight when I get home. I travel to work everyday on the dual carriageway for about half an hour there and back so it shouldn't be the dpf and I had a brand new one fitted 3 weeks ago anyway.

• Like 1

I will check the levels tonight when I get home. I travel to work everyday on the dual carriageway for about half an hour there and back so it shouldn't be the dpf and I had a brand new one fitted 3 weeks ago anyway.

Who supplied/fitted the DPNR ?

OK you will need to find out if they reset the "DPNR thermal deterioration records", if they didn't the ECU will be treating your new DPNR like the old one, potentially damaging it through continually trying to regen a new filter ( this will cause white smoke )

Clearing the DPNR learnt values requires a diagnostic system that can fully communicate with the engine ECU and allows you to access and alter settings within.

Another possibility is a faulty bank 1 exhaust sensor, for which there is a modified sensor and updated ECU software to cure.

Other possibilities are:

Faulty 5th injector

Air leaks in intake system

Faulty MAF sensor

Blocked air filter

Faulty EGR valve

• Like 1

Clean out the EGR valve....lots of possibilities as listed above, but Im gonna bet you a fiver its the EGR valve.....its the most likely

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links