Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T180 Engine Upgrade

mick1020

Well just had the Rav in for its 50k service and just under 7 years old. noticed it was using a little water and asked if I would be happy to accept a 3\4 new engine . I have just read up on this today and it has been covered loads on here .

Well may be a stupid question but ......... Should I jump at the offer ?

The car has been faultless up to now and is great on mpg

The alternative is to hang fire for a couple of months - until the goodwill warranty expires. Your engine is already showing symptoms (and the dealer will have confirmed a failed head gasket) and if you're unlucky, you'll be faced with a £3k + bill for sorting the problem. It's really a no brainer. Additionally a new engine will stand you well if you come to sell the car.

Go for the offer.

There have been a couple of examples on TOC recently where the head gasket has gone and the vehicle is outside the 'goodwill' warranty - so the owners are faced with limited choices.

Yes my initial thoughts but ...with the car running so well over the years its made me think as there are totally no other signs apart from slight water usage

You are joking rite? You have an offer of a FREE engine! Stop smoking the funny stuff! And be very thankful to Toyota for this good will warranty!...

You are joking rite? You have an offer of a FREE engine! Stop smoking the funny stuff! And be very thankful to Toyota for this good will warranty!...

I am very thankful towards them and have been throughout all my dealings in the past . I am just a bit concerned that my engine seams fine that's all and has never let me down, and came on here for advice as I am not mechanically minded at all ;)

Maybe you should read reply #2. I really think that says it all... You really don't need to be mechanically minded at all to see what an opportunity that is being presented to you.

There is no logical reason for not having the replacement 3/4 engine.

Take the offer, and consider having the clutch done at the same time - which will probably only cost you for the parts.

Take the offer, and consider having the clutch done at the same time - which will probably only cost you for the parts.

Looks like its a Yes then , they said the clutch was an option if they thought it needed doing

I had mine done about 2 years ago and it has been Faultless, done about 24,000 miles since then. I also paid about £350 to have the clutch replaced, just for peace of mind. My old engine had done 45,000 miles when it had to be replaced and the clutch had signs of wear.

I had mine done about 2 years ago and it has been Faultless, done about 24,000 miles since then. I also paid about £350 to have the clutch replaced, just for peace of mind. My old engine had done 45,000 miles when it had to be replaced and the clutch had signs of wear.

Positive comment I like that thanks

Positive comment I like that thanks

Agree with previous replies…

Never look a gift horse in the mouth! :disgust:

Hi Mick 1020

read my thread of a few weeks ago, "Rav4 2007 head gasket" by worried2.

I found out about the problem 2 months after the car was 7 years old and I still have not sorted it out yet and have no offer of a replacement engine. Mine is still just using a bit of water as well.

Its a common problem on this car, take the deal while you can! best offer I have had for a replacment engine is north of £4000

Worried2

Hi worried2

Yes read yours mate,sorry to hear really bad luck .

I have made my mind up and the dealer has ordered it

Hope you get something sorted

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161409493632?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

A very nice guy is selling this! :) I know you will get a very good deal if you haggle ;)

Thanks , I will see what the garage says as going in on Thursday for work to be done.

Hi...

No worries. Hope all goes well for you.