Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brakes

simpip122

every time I brake there's a grinding come squeak racket coming from rear wheel on drivers side and the alloy wheel gets hot. there seems to be some brake pad there any ideas. find out definitely tues its booked in garage.

If you are not confident enough to check it yourself I would seriously advise you to get it booked in straight away to get checked and not drive it again until you do.

Is it definitely a grinding noise and not just break squeal? But with you saying wheel is getting hot it sounds like at least one of the pads has worn down to the backing plate?

If so then you will probably be looking at new pads and disc or a skim up at least.

Looking through the spokes on the wheel can be good enough to see the outside pad, but if the caliper is sticking the pad on the inside could well be worn right down. Best way to see is to take the wheel off.

• Like 1

looking through the alloy looks to be some pad left on it. its booked in for Tuesday morning at halfords.

How did you get on at Halfords?

• 11 months later...

Over the past few years I have had 3 sets of brake pads and 2 sets of discs on my IQ 2, to a ratio of one set front pads only.

I am told that the rear calipers stick and jam the pads against the discs so wear prematurely. The calipers are freed up and all seem well for a while! Do I need new calipers. I know that they can be expensive but so is replacing disc and pads every 18 mths or so.

I love this car, I just wish it had drums at the rear like the IQ 3!

All the UK spec iQ's have disc brakes all around, iQ3 included.

Had my car for about 30k miles now and I have replaced the pads front and back but no discs yet and no sticking callipers either.

Craig.

Hi Craig sorry chap you is not totally correct on the Disc / Disc & Disc / Drums on the IQ3. My first car which I bought in Feb this year was a 59 plate (September 2009) registered highly specified demonstrator and an early car.

This car did have "rear" DRUM brakes as did a lot of the early IQ3's out there and there will be a few no doubt...

I have recently changed to a slightly newer car still a highly specified 3 with rear discs, lower miles and the CVT box which I strangely feel suits the engine and cars character more than the six speeder. Manual was great but ratios were way too tall and the take off from a hill start could be a little tricky on occasion for me anyhow..

See below and link for the Aussie market, The early UK market model 3's were defoe drum rear and this is not the first thread on this topics... Relevant items marked in red...

Stopping power is confident with iQ’s disc/drum combination (available in four-wheel disc in some markets) offering ABS with brake assist and electronic brake-force distribution as standard.

The safety theme is continued throughout iQ with nine airbags (dual front, dual side, dual curtain, front passenger seat cushion, driver’s knee and rear window curtain) offered as standard as well as optional ESC with Traction Control.

Like I said, it was a really short drive over a relatively unchallenging and slow course but the sure-footed feel and impressive performance of this sub-light hatch matched with good looks and clever versatility emphasises the fact that micro-motoring need not be all bad.

Toyota currently have no plans to bring the current generation iQ to Australia.

*Pricing is an estimate as converted from Yen to AUD based on the recommended retail price of a Toyota iQ3 1.3-litre CVT (as tested).

Specifications:

• Engine: 1329cc DOHC four-cylinder (16 valve)
  • Power: 72kW @ 6000rpm
  • Torque: 123Nm @ 4400rpm
  • Induction: Multi-point
  • Transmission: Continuously Variable
  • Driven Wheels: Front
  • Brakes: Disc/Drum with ABS, EBA & EBD
  • Top Speed: 170km/h
  • 0-100km/h: 11.8 seconds
  • CO2 Emissions: 120g/km
  • Fuel Consumption: 5.10L/100km
  • Fuel Tank Capacity: 32L
  • Fuel Type: 95-98RON Unleaded
  • Euro NCAP Rating: Five-Star
  • Airbags: Nine (refer article)
  • Safety: ESC with Traction Control (optional)
  • Spare Wheel: N/A
  • Suspension: Strut (F) / Torsion Beam ®
  • Cargo Capacity: 130L (approx.)
  • Tow Capacity: N/A
  • Turning Circle: 9.0m (approx.)
  • Warranty: Three Year / 100,000km
  • Weight: 955kg (tare)
  • Wheels: Alloy 16-inch

Anyway to ALL IQ owners happy driving they really are cool cars and am sure later on will become a bit of cult thing.... We shall see..

Stu James.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links