Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2001 Celica Power Steering Issue - Leaking Pipe

Jeremy85

Hi all, first time poster so apologies for any faux pas I may make. Just looking for some advice with my 2001 Celica and I thought this would be a great place for help.

Basically my steering started making a hideous noise recently and I was told it was due to the fluid being low and dirty so Halfords flushed it out and topped it up. They then went on to tell me that the reason it was low was due to a leak in one of the pipes and it would cost £521 to replace this part. Obviously I was astonished that it was this much and I've had to decline for now in the hope that I can find the part cheaper eleswhere.

The main issue I have is that I'm finding it very hard to know exactly what part needs replacing. All I have to go on is that there is 'POWER STEERING PIPE LEAKING'. She was kind enough to tell me it was located at the bottom of the radiator and is a metal pipe but they don't have a part number or a better description than that!

Is anyone able to help me track down what this part might be and for extra brownie points perhaps even point me towards somewhere I can get hold of a replacement without breaking my bank entirely.

Many thanks in advance!

Common-ish problem on the Celica....due to where the pipe/loop is situated (towards bottom left just in front of the radiator as you look from the front).

Depends how bad the leak/corrosion is...might be be repairable if it's minor (Araldite has been used).

I think a new part from Mr. T is around the £250 mark but a bit fiddly to do.

Try a breakers/dismantler for a second hand/used part that's in good nick.

If you have to replace then give the replacement a coat of Hammerite for extra protection.

I think you can make your own using copper tubing but you'd need a proper pipe bender.!!

Mine's showing some signs of corrosion so I've just wired brushed it and given it a coat of Hammerite in the hope that it lasts a little longer.!

Neil

Fantastic! Lots of useful information here - thank you very much!

So is this actually some sort of cooling mechanism for the power steering fluid? That would explain it's proximity to the radiator. How would you recommend I get in there to take a look for myself? It seems pretty inaccessible from above and I'm very nervous about getting underneath if it's just propped up with a jack. Should I invest in some sort of ramp do you think?

If I were to start calling around breakers yards etc, does this part have a name? How best to describe the part I need?

Thanks again!

Hi, & welcome to T.O.C.

Send a PM to AMS, Jeremy. He's a corporate member on celica-club based in Birmingham who breaks Gen 7's. He'll know exactly which part you need and may have a used pipe in good condition. Even if he hasn't, he could fit the part for you if required.

PS Amit can be trusted implicitly.

PPS I'm also in Notts :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links