Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cvt Oil Change Interval

Mark and Cath

Our 2010 Verso with a CVT box has 48,000 miles on it and I suspect that it may be due a gearbox oil change because it is not as smooth as it was. Is there a recommended mileage or are these maintenance free gearboxes?

Thanks

Our 2010 Verso with a CVT box has 48,000 miles on it and I suspect that it may be due a gearbox oil change because it is not as smooth as it was. Is there a recommended mileage or are these maintenance free gearboxes?

Thanks

There is no recommended service interval for the CVT oil. Although you can if you wish have the oil changed just ensure that the correct Toyota only CVT fluid is used ( Toyota CVT fluid FE type - part # 08886-81390, qty 5lt ) also note that changing the oil is a Toyota only job as is must completed with the use of Toyota's diagnostic equipment to prevent damage to the CVT box.

• Like 1

Thanks Devon,

The car is due a service in about 800 miles anyway so I will give it the works and see if that brings her back to being silky smooth again.

I've always believed in changing the box/Axle oil every 50k with full synthetic oils! Ester based if possible! I wonder if the auto bix oil that Mr T uses is a synth?

I am going to swap the oil anyway on the basis that fresh oil certainly can't harm and CVT boxes in general do have a reputation for being a little fragile.

I have called my dealer twice and they have said they will call me back with a quote but haven't done so. Guess I will have to make it 3 times tomorrow.

The car is due a service in about 800 miles anyway so I will give it the works and see if that brings her back to being silky smooth again.

I'd be grateful if you could post back your findings in due course. I did a fair bit of research before buying my cvt auto and didn't find anyone with faults. It would be nice to know how much it costs for a fluid change and whether it made any difference.

• 7 months later...

Did you make any progress with this?

I too have a CVT coming up to 60K miles (Avensis) and am wondering about whether to change the transmission oil at the next service too.

I don't however have any issues - I'm just wondering from a maintenance point of view. Hoping to get this car to 150K eventually, though on the flip side don't want to spend unnecessarily (I think Toyota charge £150 for the transmission fluid change :eek: )

Edit: It's £109, but still :eek:

• 6 years later...

Hi folks.

Wanted to share this with you .

Bought Verso February 2020.  A 2017 model Automatic. 

From more or less the beginning when bought ,when i released peddle at say 10-15 MPH and let car roll it felt pulling/ braking stalling whatever you call it. Furthermore overall pickup from 0- 30/40mp/h slow and not smooth acceleration. 

These small things hard to explain and detect etc. In short brought the car with all complaints and details etc  to Toyota , as I expected they did a spin for 40 minutes!! Wasn't allowed in (covid) .what a waste. Looked at me like a cow watching train passing by.

At 36000 i was forced to make  a major service ahead of 40000 because i bought it at an independent dealer and Toyota said that the  last year service wasn't on record which would invalidate 5 year warranty. On the report aftter the service they recommended changing CVT oil. All the private mechanics referred to the standard practice not before 50000- 60000 miles. 

This was two months ago. Since then i wanted to change. Then I saw the price!! £70.00 for 5litre.

Today finally i changed the oil .1.8 litres came out. 2.5litres capacity was refilled. 

Car is new. Smooth powerful silky, nice pick up quiet. 

Thank G-D.

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

I saw this thread a couple of years ago and finally the time came to replace the CVT fluid in my 2017 Verso (1.8 Multidrive). Just thought I'd share my experience to see if it helps anyone.

The car has done 48k miles and given its age this I believe is a good time to change the fluid. I used Genuine Toyota CVT Fluid FE.

I followed Toyota's procedure, the salient parts being as follows:

Raise and ensure the vehicle is level (a spirit level on the rocker panel/sill will help)

Access the fill plug
- remove the front passenger wheel
- remove the plastic access panel with 4 clips
- the fill plug is marked FE and has a 24mm 6 point bolt head

Make sure you can remove the fill plug first

Although there is a cut out for access to the drain plug I would advise removing the large plastic undertray to make this easier. It will also ensure the fluid drains cleanly into a container. It is important to catch all fluid because you need to measure the quantity.

Remove the drain plug (6mm hex head) and catch all fluid in a container. About 2 litres will come out. Once the flow stops use a 6mm hex key to remove the plastic tube just inside the drain. Another approx 500ml of fluid will drain. In total 2.5L was drained.

Reinsert the plastic tube and drain plug. Measure the drained fluid and refill the exact same amount. Reinsert the fill plug.

I would advise having a fluid transfer pump but if you have a long flexible piece of hose connected to a funnel that will suffice. Be careful working in the wheel well because dirt can easily drop into the fluid etc.

Start the engine and cycle slowly from P to D and back, spending 3 seconds in each position. Run the car for a further 30s and then shut off the engine.

Toyota calls for the above procedure to be performed three times. I only had 5 litres of new fluid so I did the procedure twice to get all 5 litres in the CVT.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links